Ocean Alpha 240P strange????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, you guys have helped me before, anyway I have had 8 months trouble free..............until today. The fault is thus, when I ask for hot water, it either supplys hot water no problem, or will initially provide hot water, then the bolier will cease firing up,so then cold water is provided, or it will just no fire up at all??? I have had a plumber out, and the boiler behaved itself for one whole hour!! So I am really confused??

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the DHW diapragm has gone slack/has a split in it. A service kit is available and a relatively simple job - just turn mains to boiler off and opening the lowest hot tap will make safe.

If your plumber cannot find one for Alpha, Jaguar part will fit (but probably dearer P/no 3002192607)

If the radiators have been heating up while running the HW it may be the whole diverter valve is shot.

Cheers

Hi Beerlover, when the plumber came today his initial thought was the diapragm, but the pin thingy (I am not a plumber!) comes out and makes contact with the switch on every occasion (even when the boiler does not provide hot water? does this change your diagnosis?? Thanks for the reply!!

No the diapragm gets stretched at the edges and sticks -working intermitently. The pin may move but it might not always move enough to make the microswitch. Remove it (diapragm) to check. It isn't unknown for the microswitch to only make occaionally, but once contact has been made I cannot understand why it would drop out again.

PS the diapragm should be almost flat not look like a dessert bowl.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Beerlover, I will start at the point you have suggested, I have looked again, and the pin always makes full contact with the switch, and the following happens, but not in any order..........

1) Will fire up and provide hot water

2) Will initially fire up, then "drop out" (again after different amounts of time), then fire up again

3) Boiler will display the right lights, the switch is activated, but simply no hot water

:oops: Just remembered the venturi on the rh side can get cr*p in it. Ask your plumber to check this and also the tubes if the diapragm is ok.

Cheers

OK, many thanks again, but.........what is a venturi?? I thought is was a comedy film about a pet detective called ace!!! Starring Jim Carrey????

But seriously I do not know what that is?

It is the bit that creates a pressure difference either side of the diaphragm - makes it move basically. We like big words as it justifies big prices.

Start by checking the diaphargm; quick cheap and easy. I hope this helps as, not being there, it would be my best guess. Others may point to your plate heat exchanger, but you've got to start somewhere.

Cheers

Bit high IF he is fitting the service kit - your plumber sounds like he is being charged for the whole actuator. Ask him, we aren't all robbers, :oops: forget the P/no I gave you earlier try 248066 Baxi part that will fit exactly, around about a tenner. The complete actuator is about £75 + vat. (ish)

http://alpha-boilers.com/custom/upl...s/240-280 Installation & Servicing Manual.pdf

I would still check it before replacing it though. ;)
Page 33 section 8.41

Cheers

No problem, I'm housebound at the moment - work injury, and it is only this forum that is keeping me sane :)

Cheers

Sorry to hear that, hope you are back out on the road soon!!! OK another one for you, if you are not too busy. (you may regret your last post!!)

Moved into this house 18 months ago, downstairs loo was OK, no problem at all, then we noticed a leak from the bottom of the tank of the toilet (where the water pipe goes in)

Called plumber replaced part, no leak, BUT every time we now flush the loo, and the end of the "water refill" there is an almighty "thud" my mate said it is water hammer, but why did it not do this before, and only since a new part was fitted???

Did he fit a new Torbec (or similar) ballvalve - short arm & little float? If this was the case simply restrict the service valve/ stopcock on the feed to the toilet, a bit.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back