Oddly draining shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously I know it will be hard to give a definitive answer, but I'm asking anyway lol.

Shower tray is always slow to start draining, and an inch or so of water always builds up in the tray very quickly when you start to shower. However, after that it keeps pace and the tray never overflows however long the shower is running.

Pipes are well hidden, but I think the fall might be suspect (ie not enough fall), could that result in the symptoms I've described? As I say, once it starts draining, it can keep up with all the extra water that comes in, so it doesn't feel as though there is a blockage in the pipework, but it is slow to get up to speed.

Sponsored Links
Yes it could. It's either a restriction somewhere or as you suggest the fall isn't enough. When you get an inch of water in the tray, it is adding the additional pressure of that volume of water in the tray allowing it to overcome whatever is causing the slower draining.

Common cause if the tray hasn't been raised enough, or soil stack connection isn't low enough to give a suitable enough fall

Cheers guys, many thanks for your replies. I kinda felt that the tray needed raising, but, as it's not a 5 minute job, I wanted confirmation that the work involved is likely to resolve the problem.

Sponsored Links
As Madrab says, the problem could be right at the end of the pipe run where it joins the stack. I'm not sure how easy it is to get to the stack pipe to have a look but it could possibly be easier to change the connection rather than take your shower out.

Once the shower waste goes outside there is a very decent fall till it joins with the stack, so it feels to me that the issue is with the first 3 feet or so from the tray till it goes outside. Does this still sound as though it's a likely cause?

As suggested, it's either a fall or restriction issue, you couldn't be sure until you get access to check for any restrictions, if none, then you're looking to ensure there's suitable fall in the waste pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back