Off with their heads

However, I fail to see the difference between a very sharp blade falling from a wooden structure and a very sharp blade being swung down on the person being executed.

Ahh you've obviously not seen the IS hi def videos of their execution methods then? Don't think there's anything like a sharp blade being swung down on the person being executed. IS are cruel and barbaric in their chosen methods.

Sponsored Links
Fair comment as I have NOT seen the videos.

However, I fail to see the difference between a very sharp blade falling from a wooden structure and a very sharp blade being swung down on the person being executed. They both avhieve the same result using the same method. The latter, if done correctly, will sever the head from the torso in one movement just as effectively as a guillotine.

I think the advantage of the guillotine is that it cannot 'miss'.
There have been instances where execution by the sword or the axe has been cocked up and a second or even third attempt has had to have been attempted.

Yep - I take your comments on board but execution by axe was also often problematic in the same way.

To make it clear - I am not defending the acts but I cannot agree that 'they' are savages and we are angels purely because they behead people.

As I said, there is a long history of European (and other non-arabic) nations behaving with similar (or worse) barabarity and much more recently than the middle ages.

By all means denounce these people but appreciate that they are not that much different to us.

Sponsored Links
Fair point Belboz. It doesn't justify it though. It just seems to be a bit of a wild frenzy of depravity rather than an organized event.

What is it with these loons and beheading people? If you want to kill, then so be it, but why lop the heads off? :confused:

As far as the videos go, I suppose it's for maximum dramatic effect. They want to shock as much as possible.

Historically in Europe beheading was a form of execution granted as a favour or mark of respect , rather than subjecting the person to one of the other options as mentioned earlier in the thread.

I suppose everything is relative!

Yep - I take your comments on board but execution by axe was also often problematic in the same way.

To make it clear - I am not defending the acts but I cannot agree that 'they' are savages and we are angels purely because they behead people.

As I said, there is a long history of European (and other non-arabic) nations behaving with similar (or worse) barabarity and much more recently than the middle ages.

By all means denounce these people but appreciate that they are not that much different to us.

I agree that in earlier times we have been equally savage.

I think that you're missing the point, though, that over the intervening centuries we have become more civilised, unlike the people we are discussing.

Historically in Europe beheading was a form of execution...

Exactly, historically. Not now. IMO, in the modern world, removing someones head, manually, by a knife is "relative". Relative to a bunch of loons with a nasty religion.

I think that you're missing the point, though, that over the intervening centuries we have become more civilised, unlike the people we are discussing.

No - I think YOU are missing my point....

We decry the savagery of these people and hold ourselves (bear in mind I said Europeans in my original post] as having gone above such things 'over the centuries'.

Well I wholeheartedly diasagree.

Look at the type of savagery which has occurred in Europe in the last 70 years....

Nazi Germany
Bosnia (et al.)
European Terrorism (IRA, ETA, Red Brigade, Baader-Meinhof etc. etc.)

Those are just a few examples - there are MANY more which evidence the fact that Europeans have certainly not 'become more civilised' over the centuries.

What IS and their associated factions are doing is despicable but don't imagine that 'we' [Europeans] haven't done much worse in recent times.

That includes governments as well as private individuals.

Look at the type of savagery which has occurred in Europe in the last 70 years....

Nazi Germany

What IS and their associated factions are doing is despicable but don't imagine that 'we' [Europeans] haven't done much worse in recent times.

Damn right mate. "Nazi" Germany being a good example. Glad you mentioned that in this context. I note that the half the world went to war to crush "Nazi" Germany and completely destroyed it. Hopefully, eventually "Extreme" Islam will get the same treatment. Bear in mind that the whole of Germany was crushed to remove extreme Nazism. Lets hope Islam is treated the same "fair" way eventually.
I do hope when comparing "causes" you accept similar "solutions".

Sponsored Links
Back