Oil boiler keeps cutting out.

Ori

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating oil boiler keeps cutting out. It is a Myson Volaire Pressure Jet 50/70. The system was drained when new radiators were fitted, with new pipe routing in some cases. The boiler fired up fine but only ran for a few minutes before cutting out and initially only heated the pipes upto to the upstairs cupboard where the flow and return pipes start to go off to the radiators. I have bled the radiators and after waiting 10 - 15 mins fired the boiler again only for it to cut off again. The pipes are heating up further along the flow on each occasion I go through this process but the radiators no longer release any air when bled. The boiler runs for approximately 4minutes each time now. Also there is a thermostat ranging from -15 to +10 (never seen that type before). what should the setting be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. - The oil flow is fine

Is it an airlock? and can this be removed by draining the system out from the boiler ( which is the lowest point), whilst allowing the header tank to fill the system or does it need to be drained off completely first?

Sponsored Links
sounds like air lock. I usually back off one of the top connections on the boiler, and see if air or wasser comes out.

your cold feed may be blocked?

Thanks Wilhelm,

I thought an air lock maybe the culprit but had not thought of your suggestion. I will try that out but excuse my ignorance for asking about wasser/water?

The cold water feed seems okay as all the radiators have filled up and the header tank stop cock has engaged.

Would it be easier and appropriate to drain and refill again?

well there is no flow from the boiler, so you need to get the pipes filled up somehow,

is it a bungalow?

is boiler in garage?

Sponsored Links
Hertfordshire is big if you are on roller skates. Which bit?

You could try turning off all rads except one, then run the pump at full speed.

No air just water came out the boiler but have noticed that the pump is sticking and stops which seems to be what has caused the boiler to shutdown. A bit of manual intervention seems to have sorted it out and the hot water is this moment flowing around to the radiators. Thanks for the advice it was helpful in eliminating potential causes.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back