Oil furnace needs replacing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have this oil burner installed back in 2004 so it is 12 years old. We usually have it running all day for many years now.

We have had it serviced by OFTEC certificated technician for a few years, during which he had replaced the bearings and then the following year, he suggested that the furance needs replacing. However, we did not use him again as the last time he charged us £60 for 15-20 minutes 'servicing'. :cautious:

Not sure what he meant by replacing, as the furnace motor is probably noisy hence being 'worn' out?

It is Riello RDB with Grant 90.

Sponsored Links
He's trying it on a riello burners a good bit of kit.A boiler service should take at least an hour and
a half maybe more.The engineer should clean out combustion chamber clean baffles fit new nozzle check burner out check pump filter check tank filter take off air box and clean fan and oil the fan end of the motor put all back together and fire up boiler check oil pressure and do a full analysis
with a calibrated flue gas analyser.After which you should get a service sheet.

He's trying it on a riello burners a good bit of kit.A boiler service should take at least an hour and
a half maybe more.The engineer should clean out combustion chamber clean baffles fit new nozzle check burner out check pump filter check tank filter take off air box and clean fan and oil the fan end of the motor put all back together and fire up boiler check oil pressure and do a full analysis
with a calibrated flue gas analyser.After which you should get a service sheet.
I agree with most of that....However....
Why replace the nozzle if it is giving good combustion ? A new one could be worse (It has happened to me many times hence my stance).
The last motor I oiled was on a ZL2D burner. .Never on a Riello.
What is a service sheet FFS ??

BTW If you are chanting the Oheck mantre then it's wasted on me !!! and you forgot about the flexys. (Which is yet more boll ocks)..IMHO.:D

Sponsored Links
Terry mate a service sheet is what I fill in to give my customers with a print out.The nozzle should be changed every service,it on a list of things to do,and boiler makers tell you to because believe it or not nozzles do wear ask danfoss. Terry my friend I know only too well that you are old school
and so am I but,we all now have to move with the times and these are the things we are expected
to do sorry but sign of the times regards Bob

I have a couple of "Camray 3" I service that are still on the original Delavan 60 W nozzles and original Europower hoses.
Combustion is still good so I leave well alone.

I remember when the Danfoss book said to change when combustion deteriorates... so I stick with it.:D

Yes you are correct. I am an old bas tard !!

I wouldn't call you that Terry,I too love camrays all good boilers down To good builds from boulters
Only ruined by Worcester buying them out.I can only hope houndsfield boilers are good being as their being built by ex boulter engineers.Bob

Regardless of what you both think of the maker's instruction to replace nozzles every year, you now have to contend with the Which Report saying that the maker's service instructions must always be followed to the letter!

Regardless of what you both think of the maker's instruction to replace nozzles every year, you now have to contend with the Which Report saying that the maker's service instructions must always be followed to the letter!
Who reads the fookin which report? ?
Most customers don't even read the fookin user manual! !!

He's trying it on a riello burners a good bit of kit.

You are right.

I have just got my boiler serviced this morning by a different guy, whom I have found by good reviews. Apparently, there was nothing wrong with my burner or the motor as he said it is running 100% fine. Servicing took a bit over an hour, coupled with a service sheet.

Now that I know it doesn't need replacing!

Thanks for replies guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back