oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help with suggestions on oil tank information , i was asked to have a look at a oil boiler, but on arrival i noticed oil tank had been bricked up and now there is no access to the tank and no way of checking for leaks , the boiler has been serviced for many years by a oil engineer , but they never said the tank is located in a wrong position or dangerous or needed inspecting , The oil tank has been in for many years and is probably a single skin steel tank . Do i need to inform the property that they need to install a new bunded tank or leave as it is , :LOL:

Sponsored Links
There may not be any reason for them to install a bunded tank or need a new one. Could really do with some pictures to comment but I would be inclined to think it would be wrong as it is as it can't be inspected. How does the delivery driver get to it?? The most important thing is the shut off tap, is it accessible? Can it be turned off? And is there a filter buried in there somewhere? Best you could do is Tell them it's sited wrong and write it on your CD/11 or equivelent and make sure they sign it too just to cover yourself

Agree with Danoil, advise of difficulties/non compliance, but it need not stop further work if not apparently dangerous.
As with a lot of the oil boys on here, you'd earn nothing if you turn down work where other components are non compliant. The oil situation is different to gas where legally some regs are 'back' accountable. Oil regs generally aren't, but if there is an obvious danger, then walk away.

silly question how do you not know this is a secondary bung. as mentioned more info would help.

Sponsored Links
There may not be any reason for them to install a bunded tank or need a new one. Could really do with some pictures to comment but I would be inclined to think it would be wrong as it is as it can't be inspected. How does the delivery driver get to it?? The most important thing is the shut off tap, is it accessible? Can it be turned off? And is there a filter buried in there somewhere? Best you could do is Tell them it's sited wrong and write it on your CD/11 or equivelent and make sure they sign it too just to cover yourself
Thanks for your reply , the filler pipe is sticking out through the wall to the front of the building and there is a shut of valve coming out through the back of the wall from inside of the boiler room , but how does the tanker driver no how much oil to pump through as there is no gauge and is unable to see the tank, as long as i fill my cd11 servicing and commissioning report out would i be ok to carry out work on the boiler :LOL: :mrgreen:

Delivery driver must be able to see fill and vent when delivering oil. Basically it's wrong, every which way by the sound of it. Yes, all you are required to do is inform things are wrong both verbally and in writing. Make sure you get a signature from the owner on your paperwork as well. Once you have done that you have absolved yourself from being responsible for it. In the OFTEC books it states that if you deem it to be an 'immediate risk' you can decommission the appliance to make it safe so they can't use it until it is put right. There is also a list of what they deem 'immediate risk' to mean, in practise however, you have no legal power to do this and can only do it with the owners permission. All I would suggest is write it down, get them to sign, carry on and service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back