old cottage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I bought a cottage built in 1890s that has been ,at various time a shop and off licence. A the rear a good quality cement block parking area has been laid to the back wall and under the front on one half under a large window a concrete base is laid up to the wall. The side facing prevailing weather has earth up to the wall and I have dug down and exposed 3 air bricks, the other other half of the front is fronted by earth,so far I've found no airbricks and nowhere is there a sign of DPC,the wall is solid. There is a a cellar beneath which has heating and is lined, I'd like to keep this dry.
My idea is to lay concrete slabs along the weather side topped by a render skirt with waterproofer, similar to the concrete fronted wall. The other half of the front wall with the earth boundary is the only part of the house not over a cellar so not sure how to treat it , two large plants close to it may be a problem. I know we are on chalk and I'm told by locals that drainage is superb. Sorry to go on but I'm new to this and would appreciate advice ,thank you

Sponsored Links
Pics of the front and rear and any side elevations needed, and pics of your test holes.

Sponsored Links
This is standard brick,as I said no sign of DPC but I did dig out the three air bricks along the side wall, I will be searching the front aspect again for any more air bricks as this is the wall where floor joists terminate. In times gone half of the front aspect was a small shop, I believe it had some sort of loading shoot into the cellar and it over this that a concrete pad has been laid tight to the house and boundary walls, it is very substantial and there is no way to remove without damage. I just need to ensure that the junction is not a source for rain to get into the cellar wall below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back