Old DNO supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was wondering if someone can give me some advice, The answer (IMO) is obvious but just wanted to know for certain.
I know an old property that is getting rewired and the main incoming fuse is one of these in a old cast iron box and both the live and neutral are both fused. there is also 6mm cable coming from there to the new installed electric fuse meter.
it is the electric suppliers responsobility to replace this old fuse box (which is surely illegal now?) and also upgrade the tails to the meter?
Also, the house is half way through been rewired but electricain who was working on it has dissapeared. the old wylex fuse box is still there so there is still a few live sockets etc. woudl the dno be bothered about this, or all they would be bothered about is the old main fuses and also the tails? would they come out, see there is getting a rewire and then refuse to connect back up? obvously because there is not a main switch between the meter and consumer unit? and becuase when new instalation is finished a new electrician will have to pull the fuse to connect the new tails?
hope it all make sense
thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello TOTL,

Is there any chance that you could post a pic ?

I don't like the sound of the 6mm? cable :eek: .

Ed

Once the re-wire is completed, leave the new tails connected to the new C.U. & leave them hanging, then call your supplier & ask them to come and connect up to the meter, at the same time sorting the fuse & tails situation.

well i can ask the lad who owns the property to take a pic but i think he is only down there on weekends so it wont be till next week unfortunatelly.
any advice on the dno etc?

Sponsored Links
Also, the house is half way through been rewired but electricain who was working on it has dissapeared.
It's a dangerous job these days, being an electrician.

Has anybody noticed how many seem to die, fall ill, or just disappear?

Sounds like a job for

scully_mulder.jpg

Maybe they could also investigate why such disappearances prompt questions from partially competent people about what the electrician would have done next....

well i think he has learned his lesson to pay when the job is complete, not half way thru, its electricians job to pay and supply all parts, well thats my theory anyhow?

so, is it now illegal to have both live and neutral fused?

is it upto DNO to change them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back