Old Engineered flooring - how do you lay it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got myself a bit of a random bargain, 21m2 of really good quality 20mm engineered oak flooring, for £100, cheaper than the cheapest laminate out there :D
However.. I suspect that this thing has been left somewhere in storage for very very very long time, because the packaging & build of the flooring itself looks a bit ancient.

It has got just a finger joint and it must be pushed together rather hard for it to stay there+ the fact that it has sat somewhere for very long time doesn't help it either as some of the joints will need some attention due to some movement in wood.
The joint is like this one:
680.jpeg

So my questions are:
-is there any special technique when laying such flooring? Do you need to fill the joints out with pva and glue it together?
-how large expansion gaps you must leave at the ends, the same 5-6mm you leave for laminate?
-and what kind of waste percentage is there when laying such flooring? I have laid A lot of laminate floorings before and I get maybe only 2-3% wastage , the thing is I need to cover 20.5m2 of area with it and I only got 21m2 of it,that's all the guy had :D So will need to work really carefully.

maybe anyone recognizes such markings and do know the approx age of it as well?
Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's Kersaint Cobb flooring decent stuff, still available though it might not match from an old batch. Somewhere in the £50/sqm range
leave 10-15mm all round yep glue together with PVA if your going to float it/or consider something like elastilon.
It's a multilayer wood flooring rather than a true engineered board so isn't as stable as engineered but it is versatile you can float it glue it down or at that thickness you could even secret nail it to joists. the only thing its not great at is going over UFH
Has it been stored in decent conditions might be worth giving it some decent acclimatisation. If your concerned about coverage might be worth laying it out roughly to see where you're at.
If you have issues with tight joints might be worth investing in a cheap shoulder plane.

Last edited:
That's Kersaint Cobb flooring decent stuff, still available though it might not match from an old batch. Somewhere in the £50/sqm range
leave 10-15mm all round yep glue together with PVA if your going to float it/or consider something like elastilon.
It's a multilayer wood flooring rather than a true engineered board so isn't as stable as engineered but it is versatile you can float it glue it down or at that thickness you could even secret nail it to joists. the only thing its not great at is going over UFH
Has it been stored in decent conditions might be worth giving it some decent acclimatisation. If your concerned about coverage might be worth laying it out roughly to see where you're at.
If you have issues with tight joints might be worth investing in a cheap shoulder plane.

wow thank you very much, you answered more or less everything I wanted to know :)
Fairly positive I found where they still sell the same stuff (model number/pattern/package size matches so must be the same)
http://www.ukflooringonline.co.uk/p...ndcrafted-oak-natural-brushed-lacquered-20mm/

Fuuuuk had no idea it was THAT expensive at £60/sqm , fairly sure the guy who sold it to me wasn't aware of what it was as well.

btw what's the most decent underlay for this kind of flooring ( my main priorities are sound reduction and leveling qualities as my current floor isn't the best there is) . the subfloor is made from floorboards (well old pallet boards I got for nothing to be exact :D ).
I have 3 options
-sonic gold stuff ( but is it like the cheapo 2-3mm white foam which is crap but just a bit thicker or it's a decent stuff? )
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30m2-Deal...298324?hash=item27c2a4b394:g:X6kAAOSwEeFVMUqC

-XPS stuff (fairly sure I have used similar product and it was nice)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29-3m2-3-...441101?hash=item2a52a91ccd:g:f9kAAOSwymxVMUn4

-Fibreboard stuff (have never used it before)
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Premium-General-Purpose-Underlay/p/215589

thanks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
My favourite is duralay silent floor, the gold one. I'm not familiar with any of those underlays except as you say that light green stuff just looks like foam.
How uneven is your existing floor any underlay will only iron out minor bumps. If you've got proper bumps and hollows you will ultimately end up with a bouncy floor. Roll underlays will just follow these bumps and fibre boards will just not lay flat. Glueing it down may be able to take out some moderate variations.
Another option is to secret nail it or use tounge-tite screws.
If it's very uneven you may have to sort the floor, get a 6 foot level on it and check for hollows and bumps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back