Old Galaxy 18 with *** Firmware

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time here and found via a trawl for information regarding a Honeywell Galaxy 18 alarm panel and it's apparent custom firmware (or whatever you want to call it..)

I recently moved into a new flat which had a very much dead and useless alarm system installed - and indeed, it still does - however I have been tinkering with the thing and have so far restored the panel to its default settings. I have the master and engineer codes as illustrated in its installation manual, so all fine there. I have also shunted out all zones with 1k resistors and closed all tampers etc and when I get my head round the programming, i'll connect the PIRs etc to the system. Most of the wiring to the detectors has been damaged due to various things having been done to the flat of recent times so some wiring to do also.

The system initially had a 3g redcare modem pcb fitted which I have removed and I have also disconnected the galaxy telecom module (though its still in situ as I eventually intend to make this dial a mobile - even if it is just to send a load of digital garbage, it will still let me know that my alarm has gone off) so electrically all is well too (or at least I think it is) however one thing has bothered me a bit and its the keypad displaying the original installers logo, which consists of 3 initials.

I assumed with the lack of mains, absence of battery and with the back-up switch on the pcb having been snapped off too - Well, one would assume a complete factory reset (assuming reinstatement of all req'd connections too obv) when first powered-up. But it shows that logo...yes, I can edit the logo alright and get rid of it but why is it there instead of the actual manufacturer information??

I suppose its not the greatest of deals and in view of the panels vintage, I know its a daft question but more intrigue than anything else, as far as actually installing the thing goes, I think I'll be ok, I am an electrician with a good electronics background - mind you, I must admit these systems do cause no little amount of head-scratching all the same and they are certainly more complex than I imagined before my recent ventures into the Galaxy of Honeywell...

P.S. I have no intention whatsoever of utilising the original installers. I legally own the installation - being attached to my walls upon house purchase - but otherwise abandoned and I'd seriously invoice the original installers for the systems removal if they had the audacity to actually claim ownership of the installation - Its my system now and I want to wire it all up and programme it all to myself... though any initial installation tips would be very gratefully appreciated all the same:)

And of course an explanation of that logos persistence..

Regards,

Tommy

Sponsored Links
Advertising

ps Everyone on the planet knows that, in this context, three initials, stands for ADT.

Advertising

ps Everyone on the planet knows that, in this context, three initials, stands for ADT.

Yes, that would be correct, Europlex and don't be offended by my blanking out of the initials, I just figured I'd rather NOT advertise the company in question - You might know fine well what *** stands for and I assume most here do but web crawlers don't - But nonetheless, you are absolutely right, it is indeed an ex-ADT system and it has a panel that still has the ghost of ADT within seemingly, this is what I would like to query, as I initially figured a full panel reset would have exorcized the remaining settings left by ADT - including the banner logo.

Like I said, I can edit the ADT out ok but am perplexed as to why it remains despite the reset and is what I seek some feedback with, if that's ok.

Regards,

Tommy

Europlex. A question; What on earth was the point of your reply? Another question; Do you spend most weekends standing at train station platforms scribbling down locomotive numbers? Sorry to be judgmental here but you seem the sort of person that tells the train conductor someone has gone a stop too far for their ticket...or of that ilk anyway...honestly, I ask a fair and relatively straightforward question and I get some ridiculous and completely irrelevant response from a guy that calls himself 'europlex' and who has about two thousand posts to his name...

If you do not have any intention of helping then have the balls to say so instead of hiding behind that kind of utter ******. Do you even know if ADT actually have their own firmware installed? Am I missing something here? If there is something I have missed with regards to restoring back to the factory Honeywell spec, I'd like to know and that was the actual question I originally asked so please spare the petty lecturing and like I said, if you'd rather not help then just say it instead of the laughable and pathetic response you gave.

Best regards as always...

Tommy

Sponsored Links
There are vendor branded firmware releases by Honeywell. The panel you have will have an ADT branded firmware chip installed and the branded firmware has ADT's defaults.

On the older 'classic' Galaxy panels, the firmware is held on EPROM. To upgrade, you need to pull the EPROM out and replace with a new one.

Eighty2 & socdesign - Many thanks for the advice. Well I wont go any further with respect to that particular matter then and I'll just have to live with the ADT ghost - But it doesn't inhibit me programming anything whatsoever and I can edit the logo anyway so it wasn't a real issue I guess, just a curiosity.

The panels software (4. something...I cant remember exactly from last time I seen it via the menu) seems to be a late revision in any case so at least its current for the panel.

I do have a couple of ancient (DOS/RS232) eprom /prom programmers somewhere but I wouldn't bother unless I had a spare panel to murder - so the panel may be physically mine but its spirit remains with ADT:)

Again, many thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Tommy

Europlex. A question; What on earth was the point of your reply? Another question; Do you spend most weekends standing at train station platforms scribbling down locomotive numbers? Sorry to be judgmental here but you seem the sort of person that tells the train conductor someone has gone a stop too far for their ticket...or of that ilk anyway...honestly, I ask a fair and relatively straightforward question and I get some ridiculous and completely irrelevant response from a guy that calls himself 'europlex' and who has about two thousand posts to his name...

If you do not have any intention of helping then have the balls to say so instead of hiding behind that kind of utter ****. Do you even know if ADT actually have their own firmware installed? Am I missing something here? If there is something I have missed with regards to restoring back to the factory Honeywell spec, I'd like to know and that was the actual question I originally asked so please spare the petty lecturing and like I said, if you'd rather not help then just say it instead of the laughable and pathetic response you gave.

Best regards as always...

Tommy
You asked a simple question, I answered, with a simple answer.

Your veiled abuse is so childish.

Bye.

1901 now by the way.

Hi europlex. Firstly let me express some gratitude for those that read my question and gave me a coherent answer. As for yourself? Well, I would say you were the one being childish and I only replied as-per expected really.

Do you think its ok to act like that with folk that are only seeking some help? If so, then I have nothing more to say other than you really ought to rationalise your behaviour and realise rudeness - no matter how you dress it up - is just wrong and annoys people.

Yes - I am as childish as they come, always have been but I am also empathetic to peoples problems and if I were the 'proud' owner of as many posts as yourself then I'd use that trust factor to actually help people instead of just p-I-ssing them off with daft replies to their posts - and it was daft, I still don't even know what you were talking about.

But don't let it spoil your day, it wont with mine and I suppose the experience has been funny if anything - I love it when I encounter comedic folk such as yourself - so keep up the good work:)

Regards,

Tommy

why is it there instead of the actual manufacturer information??

Advertising

The question was answered it seems, if indeed you set it back to defaults and the logo still remains then that logo is clearly 'a default'.

As to why the logo is a default the answer would be, advertising.

why is it there instead of the actual manufacturer information??

Advertising

The question was answered it seems, if indeed you set it back to defaults and the logo still remains then that logo is clearly 'a default'.

As to why the logo is a default the answer would be, advertising.

Ok. Show me the part where europlex answered my question. Where exactly in europlex's reply did he explain that it was down to a custom firmware? If he didn't already know that then fair enough but I'm sure he knew exactly what I meant but decided to be snide and pedantic instead - which isn't in question here (or is it?) Do you think europlex's response was friendly or helpful? Or would you say it was a bit snide? If you honestly reckon the former then all hope is really lost - Could there be even more folk just like europlex out there?? Surely not...I mean, were talking about a guy that polices a DIY forum who would rather lecture folk instead of actually offering assistance and with a moniker that sounds like a German adult movie theatre too!

What, do you really think I didn't know the purpose of the ADT logo being shown was to make the keypad viewer aware of who the installers are?

If you actually reckon that - then you are as daft as europlex if truth be told.

I have no time whatsoever for people that are snide. I am the easiest going person you will meet but be snide to me and I'll let you know its not appreciated, that's the way I am and the way most other people are too, that is, outside of the peculiar world europlex inhabits anyway.

Yes, I can be cheeky but only when its called for. I think that's fair and a lot more honest and tolerable than being snide anyway

Regards,

Tommy

And of course an explanation of that logos persistence..
Tommy

ADVERTISING

What has changed in all these posts, nothing.

All you got from me was the short and easy answer, I'm not one to write a page of diatribe like some, short and sweet, that's my motto.

If you can't accept that and the logo upsets you that much, go to a wholesaler and buy a new panel from the shelf.

You didn't ask for chapter and verse on how it is done, so got the answer, that you don't like, so it's my fault, but it's still the answer.

By the way, shall I shall I tell the manufacturer of the Europlex control panels what you think of their name?

Oh well then, I suppose that's me told then! But europlex, I hate that it's ended like this - Especially as it looked as though we really were hitting it off but, hey ho...can't be friends with everyone I suppose but it's been a lesson in pedantic behaviours and I'm at least grateful for that.

Replace the panel? Did you miss the bit where I said I can edit the logo out? I'll do exactly that and give the panel a new lease of life - as opposed to creating yet more electronic waste, your not very Eco conscious europlex...

I think you didn't like a stranger asking technical questions, I mean, how dare a guy with no attachments to the alarm industry come on here and ask something like that! Well Mr Europlex - before going back to being an electrician, I spent over 10 years working with cryptographic electronic systems and all manner of other such delights and to be lectured in that pedantic manner is just laughable considering.

I only wanted to know if ADT actually had custom firmware installed or if I missed something with the restore. Didn't you honestly get that from the outset?? Anyway, its been an experience in pettyness and I honestly hope for your own sake and sanity you find a better hobby than being an online master of pedantics and annoying people.

And, yes! Please do pass on my remarks to whoever manufactures the plastic junk that are europlex panels.

Finest regards as always,

Tommy

And, yes! Please do pass on my remarks to whoever manufactures the plastic junk that are europlex panels.
:LOL:

Metal actually, and one of the most professional alarm control panels on the market, used by, well I'm not going to tell you that now am I.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back