Old Galaxy 18 with *** Firmware

Sponsored Links
And, yes! Please do pass on my remarks to whoever manufactures the plastic junk that are europlex panels.
:LOL:

Metal actually, and one of the most professional alarm control panels on the market, used by, well I'm not going to tell you that now am I.

Hi europlex, that's an interesting point. Metal you say? Well that's odd because a quick google showed me a pile of cheap plastic junk bearing the same name but obviously you like them, so much that you have even named yourself in their honour and I'm sure cowboys all up and down the land love them too, being cheap plastic junk.

Sorry but I don't buy the 'professional' comment and most installations I have seen seem to use either aritech panels or honeywell, I have never heard of europlex never mind seen one but then again, I only work in environments that require good electrical systems, alarm systems included. Europlex is in the same league as logic 4 kinda stuff, cheap though and a piece of pee to wire up so probably suits you to a tee.

Regards,

Tommy

Did you miss the bit where I said I can edit the logo out? I'll do exactly that and give the panel a new lease of life
Tommy
Just as long at the text string in the EPROM is not checked for just that sort of tampering. The check sum on the EPROM may have to be re-calculated. Some EPROM based systems check their EPROM contents at regular intervals. ( eproms can lose data over time for a number of reasons )

Sponsored Links
Did you miss the bit where I said I can edit the logo out? I'll do exactly that and give the panel a new lease of life
Tommy
Just as long at the text string in the EPROM is not checked for just that sort of tampering. The check sum on the EPROM may have to be re-calculated. Some EPROM based systems check their EPROM contents at regular intervals. ( eproms can lose data over time for a number of reasons )

No, it's just the Galaxy banner default. You can edit the Galaxy two line banner to anything you want.

Tommy

No, it's just the Galaxy banner default. You can edit the Galaxy two line banner to anything you want.

Hi guys, the feedback is very appreciated - I did change the logo already but have restored all a couple of times since, yes, it does edit ok and without causing any issues. I wouldn't imagine eprom hex files would be so readily available for such a device but the panel has no rs232 interface fitted in any case, mind you, I do have a 485-232 convertor somewhere...I wonder...

Nah - eprom manipulating is a step too far I suppose but it does go to show the complexity of these alarm panels all the same, I wasn't exactly ignorant previously with regards to alarm systems but its fair to say I have a lot more respect for professional alarm installers now...these systems are essentially complex bus controlled microcomputers with interfaced logic arrays - which have to be 'manually' set up by a guy (or lady, if you prefer..) at a keypad, not a task for the faint-hearted I tell you.

Again, many thanks for the help and best regards,

Tommy

Hi guys, the feedback is very appreciated - I did change the logo already but have restored all a couple of times since, yes, it does edit ok and without causing any issues. I wouldn't imagine eprom hex files would be so readily available for such a device but the panel has no rs232 interface fitted in any case, mind you, I do have a 485-232 convertor somewhere...I wonder...

Nah - eprom manipulating is a step too far I suppose but it does go to show the complexity of these alarm panels all the same, I wasn't exactly ignorant previously with regards to alarm systems but its fair to say I have a lot more respect for professional alarm installers now...these systems are essentially complex bus controlled microcomputers with interfaced logic arrays - which have to be 'manually' set up by a guy (or lady, if you prefer..) at a keypad, not a task for the faint-hearted I tell you.

Tommy

Easier to just get the EPROM.

Generally, the alarm installers don't need to understand the internals of the microprocessor and it's multiplexed A-D converters. They only need to interface with menu options and ensure that the zone/bus resistances/voltages are correct. Most if this is generally learned on the job or at the bench.

There are some more complex installs, but again, these generally have to conform to the configuration options available within the menu systems of the panel variants. Apart from the Texecom COM-IP, I haven't seen any panels where user developed code is integrated into the panels.

Tommy

Easier to just get the EPROM.

Generally, the alarm installers don't need to understand the internals of the microprocessor and it's multiplexed A-D converters. They only need to interface with menu options and ensure that the zone/bus resistances/voltages are correct. Most if this is generally learned on the job or at the bench.

There are some more complex installs, but again, these generally have to conform to the configuration options available within the menu systems of the panel variants. Apart from the Texecom COM-IP, I haven't seen any panels where user developed code is integrated into the panels.

Yes, I agree and if the panel was being inhibited in any way I'd certainly attempt getting an eprom - thankfully all variable parameters are available however - though I now wonder if the digi-com settings will, like the logo, be default as-per the installers req's too...I guess I'll soon find out.

Regards,

Tommy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back