old imperial rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone give me some data on a old rsj.I believe it was from a building built in the late 60's It measures 365x170ish web thickness is 10mm and the flange 12or 13 mm by 6.2m long I was trying to find out what was the maximum point load it could take in the middle supported both ends on 150mm any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Funny, but we fitted a pair of these (similar) behemoths in a recent extension. i.e. 356mm x 171mm. I think they were designed with a clear span of around 8m in mind.

It's a standard Universal Beam size.

The maximum point load it can 'take' depends on how much deflection you are prepared to accept,
and the type of masonry in the wall supported by it.

It's a standard Universal Beam size.

The maximum point load it can 'take' depends on how much deflection you are prepared to accept,

Or should that be bending and web buckling? And is not open to acceptance. ;)

Deflection just cracks the plaster (y)

Sponsored Links
That is a large beam, particularly if it is being used in a domestic situation, though of course we don't know its intended use.

Bending (not to be confused with deflection) will come into it, though on a 6.2m span, it would have to be a high load to
reach its bending-stress limit.

It would have to be a very high load for web-buckling to be a consideration.

With regard to deflection, it's not a case of 'just cracks plaster'. Although deflection is a serviceability issue (rather than purely structural) if the beam is required tohave plaster for fire-resistance, it would be a 'fail' if it cracked the plaster and thereby compromised fire resistance.

The point was, the check for point loading is bending and web buckling, not deflection. :rolleyes:

The point was, the check for point loading is bending and web buckling, not deflection. :rolleyes:
That would depend on what the point load was - and again we don't know.

With regard to web buckling, I have to disagree that it is an important consideration. It is not dependent on the type of loading (ie whether it is a point load or distributed load) but depends only on the magnitude of the load - however applied. And for web buckling to be critical, it would need a fairly high load.

One check which no-one has mentioned so far is lateral torsional buckling - this will be critical under a high point load, particularly
if it is a 'destabilizing' load and the beam is not adequately restrained.

It does not matter what the point load is, those are the checks for point loading onto the top of a beam.

Hi can anyone give me some data on a old rsj.I believe it was from a building built in the late 60's It measures 365x170ish web thickness is 10mm and the flange 12or 13 mm by 6.2m long I was trying to find out what was the maximum point load it could take in the middle supported both ends on 150mm any help much appreciated.
40kN

That would give a bending moment of c. 60kNm.
I think it would take a bit more than that;)

45 maybe. I think it would fail in buckling much beyond that. Looks like it was a post and pi$$ off anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back