old light timer

Sponsored Links
Sorry about the pictures not right way round

If a mod could explain why that is happening?

OK, I've never seen one of these! I'd guess that behind the fixed plate is an escapement just like in a clock. The pendulum will be attached to this The solenoid goes full travel, but the numbered arm changes the distance that the long arm is moved. When switched 'on' the solenoid fires, moving the long arm against the spring and the long arm attachment makes a contact. The spring now pulls the long arm down at a speed controlled by the escapement and the pendulum. At the bottom of the stroke the contact is broken so turning off the light. It can only work one way up.

It doesn't look like you need a connection to terminal 1, just wire as per pic. Looks like 2 to live, switch neutral (urghh) to 3, switch output is 4.
There looks like some sort of internal bridging to terminal 1.

Sponsored Links
The switched neutral is very alien to me and is against all i have been told

This replacement timer it seems like the neutral is switched, its hard to tell

This is a site to another timer where the neutral is switched?
I thought that was not allowed, unless I have missed something

Half way down
http://www.relay100.com/upfile/2006619179815036.pdf

This is what I am trying to do

This is the diagram of my timer

It is controlled by a push switch

Could some one please tell me how this is all connected together.

View media item 53488

Live to terminal 2,

Neutral to lamps and push buttons.

Switched Live comes out on terminal 6

Terminal 3 is one end of the solenoid coil, the other end needs to be connected to Live.

If terminal 1 does go to the coil then there needs to be a connection of some sort between terminal 1 and terminal 2. This is probably a contact that opens once the solenoid has been pulled in. This would prevent the coil being permanently energised to prevent over heating if a push button was jammed in. Many solenoids do overheat if permanently energised.

View media item 53509
Thanks very much Bernard

Yes this was the original wiring, I was confused as a neutral does not appear to go to the solenoid.

there is also a perm live and a red conductor to 3.

I do not understand the neutrals to push buttons

I presumed you would have a live to the push switch, which when pressed would send a live back to the timer which pushes down the solenoid and makes a connection to switched live and you have light till the solenoid is pulled back up.

How do the switches work
the modern one switches the common between make and break, i just don't get the neutral situation

any guidance would be really appreciated.

In the diagram, what would go to where.

I have looked all over the internet for wiring diagrams for staircase lighting but can't find anything, it is most frustrating

thanks i got there in the end. Its easy when it clicks into place.

live to make 4 to com

The push buttons are switching a Neutral to a control input. ( one side of the solenoid coil ). The Live potential on the push button(s) comes via the coil of the soleniod. As far as I know switching neutral to a control circuit is allowed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back