Old Makita drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Clearing my mothers garage out and came across a Makita 6226d cordless drill in a case with 2 batteries and also has a torch which uses the batteries. So I stuck a battery on charge and then after an hour or so put it in drill and nothing. Tried it in the torch and light worked, but after min or 2 it died. So I was thinking the batteries were dead?

No idea how old, but I guess could be 10 years? Anyone know when they were made?

Are they any good? I have a nice makita cordless drill but I really need a second one so i am not constantly changing from drill to screw bits all the time. So I guess my question, is it worth buying a new battery or would it be better to just get a new makita one which would have matching batteries. Thinking would need to have 2 of them batteries and a quick google says they are about £22 a pop.

Sponsored Links
No idea how old, but I guess could be 10 years? Anyone know when they were made?
9.6 volt 6226D? More like 20 to 25 years old. Makita were selling the 9.6 volt stuff from the late 1980s onwards and they were really displaced by the 12 volt and later the 14.4 volt stuff in the mid to late 1990s if my memory serves me right. As you say, you can get replacement (copy) batteries from places like AllBatteries (£22.50 for 2.0Ah 9.6volt NiCd) or Battery Trader (£30 for a 1.4Ah 9.6volt NiMH). TBH the run time is OK, but nowhere near modern standards, although I did have the 12 volt version of the your drill for quite a few years for pilot hole drilling after I went to 18 volt Li-Ion

I have a nice makita cordless drill but I really need a second one so i am not constantly changing from drill to screw bits all the time.
Have you considered getting something like a Trend Snappy quick release chuck and 1/4in hex drive drill bits, etc? That way you won't need to but batteries or extra tools

Yeah that is what I was thinking about battery rune time too. I too have the 18v Li-Ion cordless and its brilliant. I think makes more sense to invest a bit more in and get a second one with same batteries than try and use this. Just makes things alot faster to have a drill to drill and a drill to drive screws in.

Interesting that you think it is that old!

Interesting that you think it is that old!
Makita started to use casings on their drills, etc with a revised logotype and raised letters moulded on rather than the stick-on label yours has from about 2005 or 2006 onwards, possibly a bit earlier. I bought a new Makita 12 volt drill/driver in 2006 to use on the bench (it was dirt cheap) and it certainly had the raised letter type of body casing. But by then almost everyone in the trade was using 14.4 or 18 volt tools and I doubt that Makita would be selling that many of the 9.6 volt tools. The 9.6 volt and 12 volt tools went off the market about the time Makita brought-out their 10.8 volt lithium small tools (2008 or 2009?), although there would no doubt be dealers with old stock out there for a long time afterwards. The batteries sometimes have a year of manufacturer stamp on them, but not always.

Sponsored Links
surely the "2000" shown on the label is the year the tool was manufactured...?

When J&K decides to call it a day on the tools, I'm gonna set up a tool museum, J&K will be chief curator and most knowledgeable guide, his knowledge of toolage is quite extraordinary!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back