Old plaster/cables above the door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Just wondered if anyone is able to help. Just moved into an older house... The plaster along the door frame was containing a bit of a bodge telephone cable job (the cable was just an extension cable and of no use and severed) which I removed, along with all of the dry old plaster and basically above the door where the cables come in was all plastered, too.

So now I have a bit of a cavity and wondered the best way to fill in the remaining gap and then deal with the cables in a tidy and safe way. There is the main telephone cable, the ground to the house, the mains cable coming in through a hole plugged with wood shavings and obviously the cold air comes in through there, which probably cause the mass of plaster to become so fragile that it took barely a scrape for it to all fall away. There is still some plaster which needs to be removed as it's all too brittle.

IMG_0767.JPG

I am thinking it may need some kind of support/containing. The cables run to that box on the right where the meter is, then upwards into a ceiling void.

I am keen to not spend a huge amount of money. Things I have are: expanding foam, lime mortar, lime plaster. Any advice would be amazing as I can't really afford to get someone in but wanted a sense check before I go ahead with anything as I don't want to do anything which could potentially cause a ballache in the future.

Thanks

Jamie

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back