Old Potterton control to Hive 2 Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys i'm a bit stuck, hope somebody out there can shed some light on this...

I have an old potterton control and im trying to wire in the hive 2 system, my father passed away this year and he's the one who fitted it so i'm a bit stuck for someone to ask.

1. I have located the wires for the room thermostat 2 red one black denoted by the white arrows on the pictures is there anything i need to do with these or do i just remove them? do i need to link any together at the control?

2. On the potterton there are N L 12345 but on the hive 2 theres only N L 1234?
Do i just remove the link wire from No.5

3. Is everything the same after that just follow the correct terminals

thank you in advance for any help your hopefully David

DSC00438.JPG
DSC00441.JPG
DSC00437.JPG
DSC00440.JPG

Sponsored Links
1. I have located the wires for the room thermostat 2 red one black denoted by the white arrows on the pictures is there anything i need to do with these or do i just remove them? do i need to link any together at the control?

The two red wires do need to be linked together, and the old thermostat removed. It's better if you can do this at their origin and then the old thermostat cable can be removed also. Alternatively you could replace the old thermostat with a junction box and connect the two red wires together inside. The neutral should be isolated and insulated.

2. On the potterton there are N L 12345 but on the hive 2 theres only N L 1234? Do i just remove the link wire from No.5

The wire at the existing programmers terminal 3 (HW ON according to your photo) goes to the Hive terminal 3 (Hot Water On)

The wire at the existing programmers terminal 4 (CH ON according to your photo) goes to the Hive terminal 4 (Heating On)

The existing N (neutrals) and L (lives) then need going to the corresponding N & L terminals at the Hive

The Hive doesn't need an external link from the live to the switching circuits, they are made internally.

I can't see what goes where in the programmer wiring from your photograph. But, assuming that the terminals A,B,C & D are just terminals and don't have any other function [I assume this because nothing is shown for them in the circuit on the back of the existing programmer, but you should check] all other wires that are presently connected together will have to stay that way.

3. Is everything the same after that just follow the correct terminals

In your case the above terminals do correspond, [L, N, 3 & 4] but it is unusual. It doesn't always follow to swap like for like. They are different products. It would be like saying because Tea is in aisle 3 at Tescos, it will also be in aisle 3 at every supermarket.

Hi thanks Stem for the reply, and yes ABCD are just Terminals not going to anything, one of the red wires from the room thermostat is connected at terminal 4 and the other goes to B and links to another red wire what i presume goes to the boiler?

In that case if you remove the thermostat red wires from 4 and B, and then put a link between 4 and B, you don't need to have a junction box at the existing thermostat location.

The neutral can just be disconnected.

Sponsored Links
Ok last question the two red wires going from 4 and B are definitely the thermostat, there is also another extra red wire in B, Thermostat wires 4 and B complete the circuit to make the extra wire in B Live what i presume is the CH ON, so if i just take the extra wire and connect that to 4 HIVE that would get rid of the wires for the thermostat completely would it not? Cheers stem

Yep, that sounds about right. Assuming that there are only two wires in B. (when you said extra wire, I wondered if there were 3)

At the moment, the live wire from the programmer terminal 4 is 'central heating on' This goes to the thermostat and comes back into terminal B, so if you put the wire from B into the Hive 4, 'heating on' that would be appropriate, and you will have by-passed the old thermostat.

Stem your amazing (y) a massive thanks mate heating and hot water up and running, much appreciated for talking the time to reply to my posts, have a great Christmas, Dave :D

Grand job, well done :)

Your posts were clear and concise and contained all the information needed. Also, I could tell you understood what you were doing, so it was a pleasure to be of help. Thanks for the feedback too, it helps others that follow with similar projects.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back