Old Slab is in the line of new fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I am putting up a new fence in my back garden. I have taken down the old fence. This fence was put up between the outside wall of my house and the other end of the fence terminated at a brick wall. The old fence was there before I moved into the property. You could tell this fence had been repaired because when I was taking it down, the fence panels was joined to posts by different methods. The fence posts went either straight into the ground, or into concrete or in a fence spike.

I am just preparing the ground for the new fence. I have purchased concrete gravel boards and concrete post to be installed.

I have come across a problem. In the line of where the fence should run there is a concrete rectangle. This concrete rectangle has 4 slabs which are 4 inches thick.

The four slabs when put together form a rectangle 35 ½ in * 22in. There is soil in between the slabs. I am not sure how deep it goes. I have started to dig some soil away but I am unsure what I am digging in to.

I know it not really possible for anyone to tell me exactly what this concrete rectangle is, but has anyone got ideals as what it could be.

I shall take a picture tomorrow and attached it.

Nothing is ever simple?

Ron :(

Sponsored Links
What ever you do don't dig any further!! :eek:

Once the trolls start coming out you can't stop them.......

Sponsored Links
Is it in the way of a post? If not just fill it in.

Be careful though the soil around it will have been dug out at some point and put back in so it won't hold a post as well, if your putting one near it and its a high fence dig that hole extra deep and narrow.

Its right in the line of where a concrete post should be inserted.

If I put the fence line back away from this hole I will be in next doors neighbours garden.

Can you put the post in the middle & fill it with postcrete?
Dig it out more though... lol

if you want to get it out i would just dig a post sized hole ( or half hole depending on the line of the posts) on the edge you need out and then hit it with a sledge, if its only 4 inches thick it won't take much work.

Leave the earth on the other three sides in place to make it vibrate less and it won't all split apart because you don't know whats under it.

Curisoity would get the better of me and the earth would have to be dug out to see whats down there before worrying about the fence post.

You could re-align the posts using a half panel so a whole panel goes over the top.

if its a panel fence then work out which end youre cut panel will be and work it back so you will miss the hole.

I have something similar with a Fire Hydrant at the bottom of it.

View media item 1509
this one is the stopcock for the house

View media item 1510
If it was formerly used by a keen or professional gardener, it might have been a water supply. If it was in a pavement I would have expacted it to be an access trap for electricity, water or phones. Dig it out cautiously.

It sounds too small for a drain cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back