Olive removal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some info' please.
1) Do the 'olive removal tools' generally work well, perhaps OTT for the pro but for diy ? (I doubt having enough room to use Junior hack saw without copper pipe damage.)
Examples of two models advertised - one cuts the olive, the other uses the compression nut with a 'puller device' :-
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=6610&MAN=Monument-2030b-Olive-Removing-Tool-15mm.

2) Best plastic push fittings - Is it Hepworth? (aplliance valves to copper pipe)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The 8036t one is better and does both sizes.

Won't work on the less common thread pitches but you can always use a couple of very short lengths (like 4mm and 8mm) of pipe.
Put the shortest in the fitting first, put the old joint back together and do the nut up. It'll pull the nut along (say 4mm). Then take it apart, put the 8mm one in instead, repeat, then both for 12mm... until the olive comes off.

Works when you can't get the nut back up the pipe to see the olive, too.

Thanks.

Hepworth for plastic push fits ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would doubt that the "puller" olive remover will work if the olive has been over tightned and has squashed the pipe. Trouble is thats when they are most needed.

I manage with water pump pliars if its normal.

Last week I was looking at a "cutter" type which looked as if it might possibly work on squashed olives. Does anyone know how it manages?

For most professionals a careful cut with a hacksaw is usually quicker than getting another tool out of the van and takes about 30 secs!

Tony

Last week I was looking at a "cutter" type which looked as if it might possibly work on squashed olives. Does anyone know how it manages?

the cutters are good albeit expensive and you need one for each size

Of the plastic push-fit brands my favourite is Hepworth, mainly because of the quality but also the ease of disassembly/reassembly for maintenance.

For olive removal I use the size-specific cutters.

The last time I looked a hacksaw is also a tool, and would therefore need fetching from a van. :rolleyes:

Maintenance is the key !!
The cutter type remover may be necessary - very little space for maneuver.
It now seems that the appliance valves which I manipulated regularly, actually do not close off the flow fully.. Hard water I guess.
That and a least one gate valve now spinning uselessly. Was open to within half-a-turn, thankfully.

Cheers.

Softus said:
...mainly because of the quality but also the ease of disassembly/reassembly for maintenance...
I guess my olive must be removed first - ?

Lightly oiled, appliance valve handle action silky - but that doesn't stop them leaking when they should be sealing.

Cannot believe I missed that sm1thson - cheers.
:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back