Olive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No not her on the busses but the olive on my pipe. Can you remove them when compressed(old fitting) rather than cutting pipe?

Sponsored Links
Yes cut it with a junior hacksaw but not all the way through then split it with a small flat bladed screwdriver

HI

Or you can buy a tool called olive remover 15mm or 22mm.

Sponsored Links
Namsags way is the best I reckon, only takes a minute, but be careful not to cut into the pipe.

These are more expensive than hacksaw blades, but MUCH quicker, easier, and you never ever cut into the top of your thumb by mishtake. :oops:

13403.jpg

Tip: don't keep the tool in the toolbox knocking around with your other tools, or the blade will get damaged and become worse than useless.

I'm with namsag and sooey on this one. I've still got 2 thumbs left :LOL:

i am 30 quid richer because i did not buy a tool that there is absolutly no need for ,cannot see why anyone would feel the need to buy it

Someone said:
i am 30 quid richer because i did not buy a tool that there is absolutly no need for ,cannot see why anyone would feel the need to buy it
Like any tool, if it saves time then it earns money.

My olive cutters have paid for themselves many times over. If you prefer to take longer and do fewer jobs then that's fine. I suppose if the hacksaw blade goes blunt you could always gnaw off the olive. :evil:

Have to agree with Softus there.

If one tool can save me it's cost in time on one job from then onwards it's use is pure profit.

the only thing i have against the olive cutters above is they can nick the pipe if you are not careful.

the old hacksaw/driver method is my preferred way, you can still nick the pipe with that too though. :LOL:

the cutters are good if you are in a hurry with water ****ing out and dont have the space for a hacksaw.

Sometimes there's no room for one of those type olive removers, or any sight of the olive at all, though there's a better type (at Monument) which goes on the end of the pipe.

Sometimes you can't get a hacksaw in
Sometimes the olive has dented the pipe and really doesn't want to come off.

This always (as far as I've found)
Should be obvious, except that the black piece is a very short offcut of pipe. Once the nut is "tight" ie has moved the olive along all it can, then put an extra or longer ring of pipe in.
Eventually the olive slides onto your "black" piece, or off the length anyway.
View media item 3707

Softas .Never not been able to get in with a junior hacksaw and at about 15 seconds to cut it and split olive i dont know how many extra jobs i could do if there was a 2 second time saving ;)

Never not been able to get in with a junior hacksaw
That's nice.

Why are you telling me?

at about 15 seconds to cut it and split olive i dont know how many extra jobs i could do if there was a 2 second time saving
I already wrote "If you prefer to take longer and do fewer jobs then that's fine.", so that's fine.

This topic is about advising the OP, not about telling you what you should do, so do what you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back