one coat exterior gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1.Which is the best/long lasting non drip gloss one coat for painted exterior wood work ?

2.Which is best coloured exterior varnish (again one coat) on already varnished wood ?

both should be low odour and possibly quick drying.

TIA

Sponsored Links
1/ From my experience DO NOT use One Coat Exterior Gloss, as it has many problems. 2/ You are best using the same Varnish that has been used previously & follow tins instructions for overcoating on already Varnished surfaces.

Third_Eye said:
1/ From my experience DO NOT use One Coat Exterior Gloss, as it has many problems. 2/ You are best using the same Varnish that has been used previously & follow tins instructions for overcoating on already Varnished surfaces.

Third_Eye......What are the problems with One Coat Exterior Gloss. :?:

Onion Soup....As far as I know there isn't a low odour one coat exterior gloss.

The problems are they tend to flake more sooner than undercoat & gloss sytem (if in contact with sun). Also, if applied on plastic gutters or downpipes then they are prone to flake within 6 months or 3 years, though by using exterior gloss that is not One Coat then this will last for 50 years in terms of adhesion (assuming the gloss is thinned down by 10% with white spirit). Also, when using One Coat gloss and if it does not cover then you are forced to give two coats, which results in two shiny paints being applied on top of each other (not great adhesion) & it results in two flexible coats being applied over each other which results in being easy to chip (not suitable for front or back doors due to high traffic) & generaly One Coat Exterior Gloss is more prone to lose adhesion. The thing about paints is there are three different stages at which a poaint should be judged and that is "short term" "medium term" "long term". Short term One Coat gloss is great but long term not so great.

Sponsored Links
Third_Eye said:

What do you recommend for non drip gloss ie dulux ...?

The make of varnish is unknown , not flaking just an area is distressed any suggestions ?

Growler said:
Onion Soup....As far as I know there isn't a low odour one coat exterior gloss.

ok thanks

I would not recomend any non-drip gloss as its very easy to scratch once dried. I would recomend you use Dulux Trade Weathershield Exterior Undercoat & Gloss. To be honest (i am not being negative) i would not recomend Varnishing any external wood. The reason is it tends to start going white after being weathered (though it is oky to Varnish on non-sun hit areas). I usually use low build woodstain on new external wood. However, if your wood has little damage then the "best" Varnish to use is Cuprinol Yacht Varnish & click on link for further info http://www.britpaints.co.uk/Acrobat...ux Tech Sheets/ICI Wood Stuff/CuprYVCT608.pdf

Third_Eye said:
The problems are they tend to flake more sooner than undercoat & gloss sytem (if in contact with sun). Also, if applied on plastic gutters or downpipes then they are prone to flake within 6 months or 3 years, though by using exterior gloss that is not One Coat then this will last for 50 years in terms of adhesion (assuming the gloss is thinned down by 10% with white spirit). Also, when using One Coat gloss and if it does not cover then you are forced to give two coats, which results in two shiny paints being applied on top of each other (not great adhesion) & it results in two flexible coats being applied over each other which results in being easy to chip (not suitable for front or back doors due to high traffic) & generaly One Coat Exterior Gloss is more prone to lose adhesion. The thing about paints is there are three different stages at which a poaint should be judged and that is "short term" "medium term" "long term". Short term One Coat gloss is great but long term not so great.

Sorry Third_Eye
I disagree with every single bit of that. :(

Third_Eye said:
Well, you are not disagreing with me but with facts !

No....sorry, it's you I'm disagreeing with.

I have never had a problem with flaking - fact!

Never has it flaked on plastic gutters and downspouts - fact!

There is no problem with adhesion either on top of ordinary gloss or on top of itself -fact!

If you've had trouble with adhesion, it must be your prep work. I have never ever had a problem - fact!

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
;)

One coat gloss is a poor paint with a lot of cheap pigment. It doesn't flow and only covers in one coat if you put it on with a trowel. I've never seen a good pro use it, they all use primer/undercoat/ 2 topcoats.

joe

joe-90 said:
One coat gloss is a poor paint with a lot of cheap pigment. It doesn't flow and only covers in one coat if you put it on with a trowel. I've never seen a good pro use it, they all use primer/undercoat/ 2 topcoats.

joe

Also untrue.
Just because you've never seen a pro use it means nothing.

Self undercoating gloss is a brilliant innovation only sneared at by those that don't know how to use it or are so entrenched in their beliefs.

All personal breakthroughs begin with a change in beliefs.

Everyone has there opinion "growler" and i am not going to argue about anyone's preparation style as one can only pass judgment by actually seeing a job in question. So, the only thing i am bringing into question is One Coat Exterior Gloss. Which, i have recomended "onion_soup" in what direction i would take in his/her circumstances.

Third_Eye said:
Everyone has there opinion "growler" and i am not going to argue about anyone's preparation style as one can only pass judgment by actually seeing a job in question. So, the only thing i am bringing into question is One Coat Exterior Gloss. Which, i have recomended "onion_soup" in what direction i would take in his/her circumstances.

Indeed Third_Eye. Opinions are not facts.

I've just done all my outside in One Coat Gloss - Id've been bonkers to undercoat it cos it didn't need it.

Being a decorator means one should adjust to the situation and not always do the same thing. If something doesn't need undercoating, there's no point in wasting time/money and materials doing so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back