one coat or two and how long to wait in between

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am a DIY/ Novice plasterer. I have plastered 2 bedrooms so far (not ceilings) and the results have been better than I expected. The only problem I have is that I end up with some minor blemishes on the wall. I have good look at the wall when wet and I try to smooth out as much as I can before the plaster goes off, but I always end up with some blemishes when it dry's out. I use 2 coats of plaster from the same mix. That is I skim the wall and then using the same mix I skim over the first coat again. I find this gives me more time to smooth out and I also find it easier to get a flat smooth finish (except minor blemishes). Should I be using 2 coats? If so should I use 2 from the same mix or should I let the first coat dry out a little, say 20 mins or so and then mix up again and re-coat. The blemishes are not too bad and a little sanding gets them out but I want to get it as good as I possibly can.

I use multi finish plaster

Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
on small areas we use from the same mix too. we leave 1/3rd in the bucket and add a little more water and powder if necessary.

it does lessen the workability time though.

use two coats minimum.

blemishes are easier to see once the wall has completely dries out. unfortunately. :rolleyes: :D

Your doing nothing wrong, you just need a little more practice :) wait till you try those cielings :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies and advice. So I am doing things right but can you give me any advice on how to get rid of those blemishes or will this just come with practise. One other thing the walls when plastered do not seem completely flat. If I run my hand up the wall the surface rises slightly in areas. Once painted you do not notice but I know that it's there and it Bugs me! Sorry should I have re - posted?? :confused:

Mabe you are closing down to early wait till you can touch the wet plaster and it barely leaves an imprint then close down.

brist,

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by close down? Does this mean:- Do nothing more to the wall.

Could also be uneven skim (or wall); you need to get it on as even & flat as possible & the second coat should take care of this but if you go in too early at the end (close down), the thicker bits will start to pull giving lumps & blemish hollows. If you see this happening leave well alone for just a while longer & you should then be able to pull it over with just a little water; but don’t overdo it or you will end up with a slurry that just flakes off when dry!

If the finish you’re getting is as good as you say, you obviously have a feel for it & the more you practice the better you will get. I started out having to fill bits here & there but I’ve just emulsioned 3 rooms I skimmed 10 days ago, including ceilings, & can’t find a blemish worth filling in sight!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back