One for the BT guys, curious about FTTC and phone service.

Battery back up in the sub's fibre equipment is apparently one hour. So a power cut lasting more than an hour will mean no telephone service.

Maybe some of these
batterydry11.jpg

Getting rid of subscriber's local batteries and deriving all power from the exchange was a big step forward in telephony. Now it is full circle back to local batteries to ensure phone service.

And locations where there is no mains power. No longer will they be able to have a telepone without some large batteries and a battery replacment / re-charging schedule.

Sponsored Links
There is a small exchange Deddington which has gone FTTP for the whole exchange ...
There just isn't an emoticon to express how jealous I am of that :rolleyes: On the upside, the new cabs have started to appear in my town and we're down to have FTTC available by the end of the year :D

really.....who needs 300meg??????????? I am using about 4meg and it is ok for me.... suppose when someone gets 300meg the neighbours will want 600meg :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Who could possibly need 512k ? Says the guy used to dial up at anything up to about 50k tops.
Then who could possibly need 2M ? Says the guy used to 512k ADSL.
Then who could possibly need 8M ? Says the guy used to 2M ADSL.
Repeat ad nausium.

Web site in general now have more "media" on them - because most people have more bandwidth than they used to. Not long ago the idea that anyone would stream TV, of any quality let along broadcast quality, over their internet connection was just fantasy. Thinks move along.
Sure, few will be able to make use of 300M. But then I installed a 100M symmetric, uncontended, unmetered service into one of our sites at work not long ago. I'm watching the graphs to see how long it is before we need to upgrade it. I recall when we couldn't see how we could possibly fill the 10-14M we originally had there.

Sponsored Links
Battery back up in the sub's fibre equipment is apparently one hour. So a power cut lasting more than an hour will mean no telephone service.

If they go fully fibre, they won't need much in the way of battery backup.

And locations where there is no mains power. No longer will they be able to have a telepone without some large batteries and a battery replacment / re-charging schedule.

For a PHONE? Couple Ah of li-po and a 10W solar panel..

If they go fully fibre, they won't need much in the way of battery backup.
The point is that there isn't much backup battery - the stated provision is just one hour. That means after around an hour, the battery (or possibly these days for low power stuff, just a capacitor) will be gone, the electronics it powers will go off, and the user has no phone service.

Doesn't matter if the load is 1A and you have 1AHr of battery, or if it's 1mA and you provide 1mAHr of battery - one hour of backup is one hour of still being able to provide service.

Remember that the backup isn't just to provide the line voltage for the attached phones - which will draw "very little" power when on hook. The backup also has to run the optical-electronic conversion, the internal electronics (effectively a VoIP analogue terminal adapter), the power supply for the electronics, and an inverter to provide the 48V nominal line voltage. All that must be active all the time for the phone service to work, and it may amount to several watts of power.
And of course, customers all want the smallest box it's possible to fit all that data gubbins into.

Interesting situation in Australia regarding fibre to the house

The recently ousted Labour government were well on the way with installing a National Broadband Network based on fibre to the home.

The new Government seem intent on fibre to cabinet and copper to the home. ( source retired Australian telecoms engineer )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back