one for the gas boys..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping that a gas installer can help me out here, hence why posting in the plumbing forum.

how high do I have to have the extract above the gas hob?
the plumber I had come and quote me said something in passing about it being higher for a gas hob than an electric one, but didn't say anymore than that...

Sponsored Links
Have you thought of asking him; if he is fitting the hob?

read the instructions,failing that the relevant BS.

700mm i think...top of head... im probably gonna be corrected though.

Sponsored Links
700 minimum is what I've used for gas (based on fitting a few of these over the years from reading MIs)

the default minimum distance (if manufacturer doesnt give a distance) is 760mm from the top of the pan supports, if the mi,s say something different then you should follow their advice.

Question.....

How many of you have head butted an extract canopy when working on a hob????

Tell the truth :LOL:

Ive always thought they are too low, I seem to nut them every time :oops: :oops:

In the catering game we fit at around 2 meters, 1800 min.

I fit doms at 1800 and they do the same job, make the house stink that is :LOL:

;)

I've measured it out on the wall, 900 from FFL to coutertop, 750 to bottom of built in hood.. ( what size are the "doors" for these things? I've guessed at 500, but probably 400? ) then that leaves me with about 430 from countertop to underside of uppers.. seems very low to me.. but as lines on a wall I suppose it would seem so..

I'm 6 foot 4 BTW, so everything seems low to me.. ;)

You will be fitting to you wall unit line, so go with the top to be astec,,, astecti,,,,,,, Oh make it look right :LOL:

You will be fitting to you wall unit line, so go with the top to be astec,,, astecti,,,,,,, Oh make it look right :LOL:

that's what I've done..
the hood sets the height of the other units.
the bottom has to be a minimum height, so the top will correspond to that, and the top of the neighbouring unit level with it and correspondingly the bottom of it..

aesthetically it should look ok, but it looks too low just drawn onto the wall..

you check the MI's of both the hob and extractor and use the largest of the two dimensions.
you need to be careful lining up your wall units to the top of the extractor as they might make the bottom corner of the unit too near the hob, (if the bottom of the wall unit is less than 450mm from the worktop they need to be set back from the edge of the hob by 50mm, if the bottom edge is higher than 450 from the worktop they can be vertically in line with the edge of the hob. so you need to check minimum then check length of wall unit and may need to fit extractor higher than the minimum

thanks..
I want to raise the uppers anyway now that I've seen how low they would be at 750 minimum.. ( must be about that, all the stainless splashbacks in screwfix are 750 high )

I don't have the hood yet, and the hob is still sitting in it's box in the "makeshift" kitchen in the spare room ( I quote the makesift because it was set up in march 2007 when I first started this thing.. :eek: :oops: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back