One pump ... two showers

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by lawk, 22 Sep 2003.

1. lawk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

we have a power shower in the bathroom,
    what we are planning on doing is to have a power shower in a en-suite.

would it be possible to run both showers from the same pump as long no one uses the showers at the same time.

or would it be better just installing another shower pump.

any advise would be much appreciated

Kin

2. breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i am not a plumber or heating engineer, but i would have thought two pumps would be easier / better, since if one fails the other will still work

3. corgiman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am a plumber and heating engineer ;) and think that breezers advice is spot on

4. lambo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have the system that you have and there is no reason why two showers can't be driven by one pump. Pressure will drop if both used at the same time, but this is probably rare. When the pump breaks, you can replace it. No need to have twice as much equipment as you need, it's just creating extra work. But listen to the advice of professionals, and then make your own decision. Most pump manufacturers will not guarantee a pump supplying two showers - but then its in their interest to sell pumps.

5. ChrisR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There's no "wrong " or "right" on this one I think. With 2 pumps both working away you'll empty your hot water (and possibly your cold) pdq though! Sharing a pump, both showers will "probably" still work.
    You might consider a "whole house" pump - then all your hot and cold gets pumped. Generally better quality, often quieter and longer lasting, though more expensive. Talk to Stuart Turner.
    Bear in mind that most pumps seem to leak eventually! If there's room, chop the bottom off a F&E tank and put in in that, with an overflow pipe connected to outside. Garden hose will do. Might save you a ceiling sometime.
    Pad Stones (as used under lintels ) are brill for resting pumps on. Very dense.

6. Scoby_Beasley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When I worked in Ireland I knew a Pad(dy) Stones. Big fella and solid as a rock ;) :D :D