One radiator goes cold after a few hours.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having a problem with a radiator i have had recently installed, firstly i would like to point out that when i turn my central heating system on all of the radiators are hot and after a few hours the new radiator that i have had fitted goes cold but the rest of the radiators stay hot, any ideas what this could be?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Did you fit a Thermostatic valve? What happens if you shut some of the other rads?

Did you fit a Thermostatic valve? What happens if you shut some of the other rads?
Yes it has a TRV, i turned off one radiator which is located in my spare room to see if my boiler was the problem but that didn't solve anything the radiator was still going hot and cold

Sponsored Links
Is the flow pipe still warm? I'd take the TRV head off and see if it still has a problem.

Is the flow pipe still warm? I'd take the TRV head off and see if it still has a problem.
Yes the pipe before the TRV is hot so i do think the problem could be the TRV but as it's new i just thought it would be fine, how do i take the head off?

Hi,

I'm having a problem with a radiator i have had recently installed, firstly i would like to point out that when i turn my central heating system on all of the radiators are hot and after a few hours the new radiator that i have had fitted goes cold but the rest of the radiators stay hot, any ideas what this could be?

Regards

So what's the problem with it, that's how thermostats work they switch off when they heat up to the temperature you set and the radiator goes cold lol

I think you need to know how a TRV works, it senses the temperature of the air in the room and either allows the water to flow in to the radiator or stops it the TRV can not heat up or cool down the water, once the air in the room reaches the set temp then the TRV switches off and stops any flow of water so the radiator will go cold until the air temperature drops below the set point

Take the head off, if it stays hot............. just leave it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back