Online Fraud.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone on here had any experience of online fraud and were you reinbursed?

Sponsored Links
Yes!

Barclaycard and a sudden load of parking charges from London, I live on the west coast of Scotland?

Result was a very banal question from the provider followed by a full refund of several hundred s of £

Do you have a possible problem?

Ken

Once had a large payment taken by a firm in Canada: had no dealings with the firm or the country.
Nationwide investigated and refunded the money a while later.

Nearly! A few years back when my daughter wanted top of the range hair straighteners, my wife went online to get the best price. Turned out that the best deal was with the manufacturer, so my wife added the straighteners to her basket and clicked proceed to checkout. And that was where the trouble started. As soon as she added her card details, a message popped up saying "One moment please while we transfer your payment to our bank in Hong Kong". Wife shut down the computer and I immediately phoned our bank and explained the situ. The payment hadn't gone through and if I remember correctly, our account was suspended temporarily until the payment demand was traced and rejected.

The story doesn't end there however. Since my wife's attempted purchase had been made on not the true manufacturer's site, but a false one, and knowing that such sites can be the source of computer viruses etc, I decided to run a scan. I then found out that my computer was so badly infected that eventually I had to get remote assistance from my computer security company to get it sorted out.

Because of that experience, I then decided to upgrade my security software from the free version to the paid-for one. Went to the site, clicked on download for a free months trial (or something like that) and re-infected my computer. That site was a false one too. Some people never learn!

Sponsored Links
So far, touch wood, my only experience with online fraud came when reserving plane seats with BA/AA for a 2 month visit to the States. I was using a brand new bank card with nothing else previously bought on it, and nothing after. I reserved the seats 48 hours before flying, had no issue with the transaction, and the seats were reserved as I wanted. I arrived at my destination at 3am after 21 hours of travelling, got into bed about 4 and was woken by my mobile ringing at 5. It was my bank saying somebody had tried to take £800+ from a gambling site based in France and that it looked like unusual card activity, so they were checking with me - cue the plethora of security questions, all while exhausted and half asleep!
Needless to say, it wasn't me, and I'd been nowhere near France, so the bank stopped payment and blocked my card and I then had to wait for them to send a new card to my home address before it could be forwarded to the US. Two weeks later I finally had access to my bank funds but, fortunately, I had brought a pre-paid currency card with $1000 on it, otherwise I'd have been stuffed!
I have no idea how someone had my card details from a single purchase with BA/AA, that was even 'Verified by Visa', and neither did the bank. The only thing they could suggest was that my card had somehow been 'scanned' at one of the airports, because the airline sites were '100% secure'. Lesson learned, and cards are now in one of those RFID sleeves whenever I travel.

Yes!

Barclaycard and a sudden load of parking charges from London, I live on the west coast of Scotland?

Result was a very banal question from the provider followed by a full refund of several hundred s of £

Do you have a possible problem?

Yes!

£9000,00 worth out of account with Lloyds, taken out over a week! As I have been banking online

Last edited:
RFID sleeves whenever I travel.

misterhelpful, hi.

What is this "device" is it some sort of masking device? that stops a scanner grabbing the information from the cards.

Buildersbutt? WOW!!! do not intend to pry, but is there any chance of the bank refunding? that is a truly eye watering amount of cash.

Much more of this and we will all be back to cheques and hard currency, there are so many scams and fraud that at times i think I am becoming paranoid?

Ken.

A

misterhelpful, hi.

What is this "device" is it some sort of masking device? that stops a scanner grabbing the information from the cards.

Buildersbutt? WOW!!! do not intend to pry, but is there any chance of the bank refunding? that is a truly eye watering amount of cash.

Much more of this and we will all be back to cheques and hard currency, there are so many scams and fraud that at times i think I am becoming paranoid?

Ken.

As yet nothing, went to bank this morning having to wait for decision from higher up!

misterhelpful, hi.

Ken.

I'd never heard of them until that happened to me but, apparently, you can have your cards safely tucked away in your wallet, purse, etc, and someone with a modified RFID scanner can just be standing next to you and scan your card details.
The security 'device' is nothing more than a credit card sized 'paper' envelope, which must have some kind of other material embedded in it because I can't see anything other than paper. It must be a relatively common thing to happen (maybe moreso over here) because even my US Green Card was supplied in one by USCIS. You can buy wallets (which I also have) and purses with the protection built in too.

a few years a go i was on line watching the money leave my account
i phoned the bank the fraud line the card cancel service
on each i reported money was being stolen from my account as i watched
i phoned the fraud line first but after 40 mins tried the others as it was "urgent"
at no stage was any urgency given to my situation almost as if it happens all the time whats your problem

yes it was only about £200 and i got all the money back but to me it was my world being invaded:(

Yes, I hate that attitude.

I had an RTC a good few years ago and it turned out to be an uninsured as the address he gave me was a previous address and the old lady who answered the door genuinely knew nothing about him.

Went to the nearest cop shop and the civvy on the desk spent 30-40 minutes giving me the run around about how the police couldn't do anything.

I stuck to my guns and eventually they got him and it ended up in court.

Sponsored Links
Back