ONLY widening the garage door to the boundry (pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone would be able to advise me from the drawings I've done, whether or not I will need to apply for planning permission. I'm looking to widen/extend the front face or the garage door to the boundary? So behind the door it will be the garden.

Sponsored Links
Planning aside for a moment, how you gonna get rid of that masonry pier supporting the corner of your house?

Thanks for the reply

I would Get the builder to install a steal beam from above the left hand side garage door to to the right sitting on top of the bounrdy wall. Does this seem like it could be do able?...or does it seem like a silly idea to just extend the front. As extending the back might not be granted by planning, plus it will cost me too much to get done.

What about the side wall of the house? Are you planning to remove that too? What sort of new garage door do you want? An up-and-over opening one?

Sponsored Links
Does the boundary wall straddle the boundary or is it wholly on your property?

If you think by adding a 'non-permanent' roof that you avoid P.P. then you would be wrong.

How will you deal with the guttering?

The boundary wall would need to have been built to a very high specification in order to do what you are doing with that steel beam.

What about the side wall of the house? Are you planning to remove that too? What sort of new garage door do you want? An up-and-over opening one?

At the moment we are considering to remove a portion of the side garage wall. Again by installing another steal beam, which would connect onto the front garage beam. We are basically doing an open extension on the cheap. So the garage and the garden becomes one.

Does the boundary wall straddle the boundary or is it wholly on your property?

If you think by adding a 'non-permanent' roof that you avoid P.P. then you would be wrong.

How will you deal with the guttering?

The boundary wall would need to have been built to a very high specification in order to do what you are doing with that steel beam.

It's our wall build on the boundry line and coming into our garden. As for Tue roof we though we could do it on the cheap and have it slopping towards the back of the garden where the gutter would collect and drain off.

So even by having a temp transparent plastic roof I would require PP? Does what I'm saying sound like PP may have a problem with it?

The next door has a perminant lower level extension next to the garage on the right, and they said they would be ok with it.

That's MAJOR structural alterations you're talking about! It's going to need some serious calculations by someone who REALLY knows what they're doing. You are looking at basically transferring the whole of the weight of the front right corner of the house onto a pair of beams forming a T shape, and then bearing this on just three small points of support - one on the boundary wall, and two in the existing external walls.

What is the current internal wall between the house and integral garage made of - coz that's effectively going to become an external wall.

What about the garage ceiling? Is that currently well insulated? Coz you're going to have cold outside air circulating immediately below it.

The door between the house and the garage is obviously going to need uprating to a secure, external door.

In answer to your original question - yes, I'm pretty sure you'll need Planning Permission. But that's probably going to be the least of your worries when it comes to satisfying Building Control that the job is done in accordance with all the regs.

That's MAJOR structural alterations you're talking about! It's going to need some serious calculations by someone who REALLY knows what they're doing. You are looking at basically transferring the whole of the weight of the front right corner of the house onto a pair of beams forming a T shape, and then bearing this on just three small points of support - one on the boundary wall, and two in the existing external walls.

What is the current internal wall between the house and integral garage made of - coz that's effectively going to become an external wall.

What about the garage ceiling? Is that currently well insulated? Coz you're going to have cold outside air circulating immediately below it.

The door between the house and the garage is obviously going to need uprating to a secure, external door.

In answer to your original question - yes, I'm pretty sure you'll need Planning Permission. But that's probably going to be the least of your worries when it comes to satisfying Building Control that the job is done in accordance with all the regs.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it will become a t shape beam holding up the right hand side of the house. The wall between the house and the garage was previously a external wall, so hopefully not much work will be needed there. I will get the architect to do the proper drawings and get a good building in todo all the work. The room above the garage is well insulated so itshould hopefully be ok aswell. It seems simple but like you said itwill require a good few calcs to work it out properly.

Would anyone know how much I would expect to pay for a job like this? ..........£5k?

Would anyone know how much I would expect to pay for a job like this? ..........£5k?
Dream on.

This work (as stated) will have to meet current building reg's.

The garage ceiling for example will need ripping down and insulating to current standards.

For the calcs, the architects plans and all the other professionals fees? Maybe £5K is not too far off.

For the whole project? Add a zero at least!

My architect quoted me £300 for the plans, as I've used him before. I thought the beams may come to a £1500 each so x 2 = £3000 then building fees around £2000 to install them?

For the calcs, the architects plans and all the other professionals fees? Maybe £5K is not too far off.

For the whole project? Add a zero at least!

There is more work converting a loft then doing this type of build surely? Normally loft conversions cost around £30k - 50k I thought average rear extensions were around £25k-35K?...

With what I'm thinking of doing is, only building a corner foundation with bricks etc. maybe 10k-15k sound more realistic?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back