Oops : Adding light between rose and switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps rather stupidly I have tried to install an extra light in my garage, I bought a rose and snipped the wire running from a rose to a switch. I put another rose in here and then ran a cable up to a new light.
Now with the wiring 'done' the new light is controlled by the switch, but the old one does not work at all ( i have change the bulb in case this was the issue ).

Can anyone offer any advice.

My new rose has three leads coming in, one from the existing rose next to the fusebox, one from the switch and one I put in for the new light.

Hope someone can help,

Ben

Sponsored Links
If you draw a diagram out or take a photo we will all understand why.

Or look in the lightening wiki

It depends on how originally wired. Normal house wiring and you would end up with lamps in series not parallel. But with a garage it could be wired the USA way to switch first and then to light. Step one is to work out how originally wired.

In series much will depend on the light used. Tungsten will glow but florescent will likely totally fail. With electronic gear all sorts of funny things can happen.

Sponsored Links
Strangely with how it is wired at the moment the light that comes on alternates between the new one and the old one.

Will sort out a diagram at the weekend and post it.

I think it is wired the USA way as there is a rose next to the fuse box. Out of this rose is a wire going to the switch ( and terminating there ) and a wire going to the existing lamp and terminating there. I have snipped the switch wire and inserted a second rose and a wire from this new rose to an angled batten lamp.

How do you want it to work? did you just install a new rose or did you also install a new switch?

If you want both lights to come on together then I would replace the run between the two roses with 3+E. This can then be used to carry all three of permenent live, switched live and netural between the two roses (effectively turning them into one big rose).

Yes Andy they are both energy savers, is it possible to explain why this makes a difference?

Would they both come on if one or both were normal icandescent bulbs?

Thanks.

You may have wired them in series.

If they were normal bulbs they would probably be on at half brightness

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back