open fire back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.
I've recently gone back to an open fire - the original design of the house! I also would like to fit the old type of back boiler which was removed years ago. Is this still feasible and where do i find info about doing it?
Thanks in advance,
Markynuts.

Sponsored Links
Mebbe, but I get the wood and coal for nothing and as much as I want. The back boiler request is something I could do and get free hot water. In terms of efficiency - it doesn't matter, I'm just gettin' summat for nowt. But can you get the back boilers still for an open fire. If so, could you point me in the right direction please.
Cheers,
Markynuts.

your nearest 1950`s council house that`s being re furbed ;) Take a big hammer+ chisel

Sponsored Links
I could tell you where to find one in Abernant, near the Rhondda, but you'd need to distract the present tenants for long enough to rip their kitchen units apart to find it :)
Actually, the Welsh valleys may be a good place to look as there were quite a few around there in regular use, particularly when there was a mine at the end of every street, or you could dig your own coal out of the river bank.
Not so much call for them now.....

Just had a quick nose around the web and saw these:- http://www.boilers2go.co.uk/product.php?productid=33977&cat=292&page=1

Thanks TicklyT for the link - expensive! but means they are about.
Cheers everyone else for the comments! heh!
Markynuts.

I know it was a while ago that you first posted this.

I'm just looking at present and have found someone that still provides just the back boiler to go at the rear of an open fire - £110.

You and i may be old fashioned but it was actually a darned good idea and most back boilers can supply 2-3 rads as well as the hot water. When you have oil central heating £500 odd per tank or as it was in the peak £750 earlier this year - those that laugh/poke fun should stop. Putting it more simply most folk need 4 fills of oil per year that is £2000 - 2800.

Alternatively you can get a stove [either coal or wood] with boiler on the back. Basically the stove sits out more into the room leaving space for a boiler behind. Nothing nicer than an open fire... i'm not so keen on the stoves and their price.

I have two dogs and return from a walk most days with a log to add to the pile and get given loads of wood. Those that dump an old table and chairs round at the village hall... soon disappear!

Let me know if you haven't had any success or in fact what you did in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back