Open Vent System and air

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

I have a Y plan system, open vented and a ancient boiler (ideal mexico).

When central heating is off and we are using only DHW (e.g. in summer) there is never any air in the system.

In the winter, with the heating on, I usually need to bleed the bypass radiator (not sure if that is the right name) once per week (never need to bleed any other rads). I think the air is due to the overflow "U" being not very high (30-40cm iirc) above the top of the F&E water level, and sucks air in.. ?

Anyway, my question is - when the boiler is turned up higher i seem to get more air in the system - why is that? Example - in summer with DHW i have it set to 1, in winter usually set to 3 unless really cold and I set it to 5 (it goes to 6). having it at 4 or 5 *seems* to result in more air, than 3.

Is that due to greater expansion of the hotter water?
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
hello

. I think the air is due to the overflow "U" being not very high (30-40cm iirc) above the top of the F&E water level, and sucks air in.. ?

Mike
put the vent in a glass of water and see if it sucks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back