Opinion re knocking down larder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my fridge inside a small larder in the kitchen. Unfortunately it ruptured a copper pipe today, causing some mayhem. I think the best thing would be to knock down the larder, reroute the pipes and put the fridge into the new alcove.

I have no idea how to go about doing any of this. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Check what is above your larder upstairs, could be a load bearing larder wall which would make it much more expensive to remove.

Fix the pipe and put the fridge back-job done.

Yeah. That's what I've done.

Above it is a cupboard not the stairs though. The picture is taken from the cupboard holding up the stairs!

Probably not worth the hassle I guess... Thanks for the opinions.

Sponsored Links
If you want to remove the larder then remove it.

Personally, if it was just because of the pipe then I wouldn't bother, especially if the pipe and the fridge will still be there afterwards!

You could pop some thin pipe insulation on the pipe to make it a little more resiliant to knocks.

Yeah. I've nailed some wood in there to protect the pipes. Getting rid of the larder would be nice, but with the fridge back in there I guess it isn't high on the agenda.

Checking upstairs as mentioned is good advice. Also if it isnt load bearing theres a good chance they plaster boarded or lathed the ceiling in the kitchen and plastered or artexed it then built the wall up afterward. If you could skutch away a bit at the top on the inside of the cupboard you may be able to see.
But getting the floorbards up above is a lot better. Personally I doubt its load bearing but its easy for me to say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back