Worcester Bosch boiler
Santon dual coil cylinder
Plastic under floor, copper above

Quote 2
Baxi Solo boiler
Ariston dual coil cylinder
All copper

Both guys seem very good

Firstly any comments on the system specs, especially what do people think about the cylinders ? I know nothing about this stuff bar what I've read online so any opinions from the professionals would be greatefully received

The copper man was about £1500 more expensive but when I let him know I was going with plastic man he said he could almost match the price. Must admit am a bit concerned that he can drop the price that much ....

ho hum ....

Sponsored Links
Go for the ACV tank-in-tank cylinder. It has a an additional coil. The CH can be taken off the cylinder which is a great advantage as TRVs can be on all rads. Read my posts on this thread here:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=135553

Spec up the system and tell them to price on it and don't be swayed by them. They will push you into what they think they can make most money on.

BTW, avoid a Baxi.

Make sure the cylinder is the correct capacity for the property.

What capacities have they based their quotes on?

1 bath plus 2 ensuites, 4 people normally

Quotes on
Santon 250L
Ariston dunno but guess it would be the 210L

Actually we've specified the twin coil as we may want to use solar at a later date. Is it a good plan / possible to connect the two coils in series for now and run the boiler through both of them ? Would give effectively one big coil ?

Sponsored Links
1 bath plus 2 ensuites, 4 people normally

Quotes on
Santon 250L
Ariston dunno but guess it would be the 210L

Actually we've specified the twin coil as we may want to use solar at a later date. Is it a good plan / possible to connect the two coils in series for now and run the boiler through both of them ? Would give effectively one big coil ?

Best to get the ACV tank-in-tank I pointed to. Ideal for what you are doing with a spare coil. No need to connect it up to the boiler, as the boiler only heats the outer cylinder. The rapid reheat means a 200 litre will do what you need. As you are drawing off hot water the boiler is pouring it heat into the DHW from top down in the cylinder. Normal coils in cylinders do the opposite making them very inefficient in comparison.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back