Optima xm alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my optima alarm has worked ok for years. I replaced the battery as the keypad would not react to pressing any buttons and only the power light showed. With the new battery the power and day lights show as normal but the pir's do not react to movement in the rooms. Also when i set the alarm all the zones lights show red and the internal sounder goes off - but not the external bell. Would one faulty/damaged pir be responsible for the problem? - as during redecoration one of them became unhinged and had a bit of a knock. Also as I cannot remember since i installed it - has the external bell/strobe box got a battery in there? Any suggestions would be grateful thank you.

Sponsored Links
Check internal fuse in panel normally 1.6 amp but a 1amp quick blow will be fine....these are on the pcb just under the keypad,there are two one for bell and the other for aux

Thanks for the suggestion. There are two fuses near to the keypad which look unbroken and there is also another at the back of the box which I assume is a higher ampage fuse for the main power. Could the fuse be duff even though the filament inside appears intact?

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks again. I checked the fuse with a continuity tester and it was indeed blown. I swopped the other fuse (battery) and tried it and the pir's are now working and the internal sounder works as it should and the alarm will set. When it goes off however there is still nothing from the bell box and strobe outside. Is there a battery in the bell box that could be done? or failing that what else could be wrong. I appreciate your help and we are getting closer to solving the problem. Good that the pirs are working ok.

Hi thanks again. I checked the fuse with a continuity tester and it was indeed blown. I swopped the other fuse (battery) and tried it and the pir's are now working and the internal sounder works as it should and the alarm will set. When it goes off however there is still nothing from the bell box and strobe outside. .
The fuse that you have swapped out is the 'bell' fuse, wonder why it does not work?

Replace the 'bell' to its home fuse and get a new 1.6A 20mm for the one that has blown.

Also, power removed from the control panel should cause the bell to sound, on its own battery, you also have a problem there.

Hi again. Yes of course I realise that if you remove the bell fuse then the bell would not work but the fuse that had blown was - according to the circuit diagram - the bell/strobe fuse. This also somehow was preventing the pirs from working and causing all the zones to malfunction if the alarm was set. I swapped this with the other fuse which the circuit diagram describes as the battery fuse and all seems well apart from the outside bell and strobe working. Even with the good fuse in the battery slot the outside bell did not work. I have ordered some new fuses but suspect I do have a problem with the bell box itself. Can you confirm that there is a battery in the bell box itself or is it powered from the panel inside the house? Its just that it is a long way up the wall to just have a look at and I will need to get long ladders from somewhere.
Thanks again for your patience and support.

Both ! It may have a battery if fitted , but on most bell boxes this won't stop it from working , how did you test the bell ? Remove the bell - wire and touch it on the battery - terminal does it sound ?

I tested the outside bell by simply letting the alarm go off. The internal sounders worked fine but nothing from outside. Do you mean taking out the bell wire in the panel and touching the battery terminal in there?

Ok thanks. I will try this later as I have to go out now. These seemed to be labelled B & D on the circuit diagram with the + saying 12v + VE. So do i disconnect the + connection and touch the positive terminal on the battery?.Should this then trigger the outside bell? If there is nothing I may replace the bell box while up there - if I can get some ladders!
Thanks very much for your guidance

Hi again. Fuses should be arriving tomorrow. For the test can I confirm that I disconnect the wire in the B terminal and then touch this against the negative battery terminal in the panel. If the outside bell box is ok then it should go off? This is the link to the connection diagram for clarity.
http://i46.tinypic.com/doanex.png
Once again many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back