Optimal 'T' position for upstairs central heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've the exact set up in the image attached (minus the ground source heat pump). My property doesn't have radiators upstairs but the thermal store is on the second floor, directly above the boiler stove. I've radiators downstairs, all on 22mm pipe until they feed off to each radiator. All copper pipe.
I'm about to do some renovations upstairs and want to add 3 additional small radiators to the second floor. I'm going to tee into the CH circuit but want to know whether I can connect the flow before the pump as it is downstairs.
Can I connect the flow somewhere around position X1 and return at Y or do I need to connect the flow somewhere around X2 (ie after the pump)? The distance from A to X1 is roughly 7 metres. Distance between X1 and pump would be 2 metres. I'm assuming 22mm run to each radiator is best?
Lastly..... Can I simply connect a 'T' fitting.
Many thanks!!

Sponsored Links
New radiators pipes need to be connected on pipe after pump.

15mm pipe will be ok for small radiators.

New radiators need to be below F & E tank water line.

Daniel.

Many thanks Daniel. Out of interest why does it need to be after the pump?

If I was to move my pump further back (ie closer to thermal store to allow me to tee off upstairs rather than downstairs) can I plumb pump back in horizontally? Should it be upright or on its side? Does it make a difference.

Stuart

Anyone else got a view on this? I'm planning on adding the radiator this weekend coming but not sure whether to move pump at same time. Draining g down the system takes an age so don't want to have to do it twice. If I move the pump can it lie on its back? I've heard that can knacker the bearings?

Sponsored Links
Need to be after pump so there is good flow to top radiators.

You can move pump closer to store but need to be right way as existing.

Can't you connect onto pipe after pump? What stopping you?

Daniel

Thanks Daniel. It's no problem teeing in after pump. My only thought was that the pump would need to push it all the way back up stairs as the pump is at ground level. From what your hinting at that isn't likely to be a problem? I'm assuming I can 'T' the return in upstairs as it heads back to the store?

Yes, tee into return pipe, the same as you tee into for flow.

Pump will have no problem pushing water anywhere.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back