Options for preventing water ingress in French Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pair of French Doors that I am in the process of refurbishing. Previously a lean-to existed over them thus partially protecting them.

I have removed the lean-to and now the doors are exposed to the elements, while we have no issues with drafts today because of the rain it seems it is starting to seep in a the bottom of the doors across the sill.

I was thinking of adding a water bar routed into the sill but the problem is that the doors open outwards.

I do not like the option of adding a weather bar across the front of them, so I am looking for suggestions/alternatives to the problem.

Sponsored Links
A photo of the cill would help!

I am assuming the cill has a flat top otherwise the up-stand of the rebate would stop water ingress.

With an outward opening door the frame is usually rebated all round, and that includes the cill. If an outward opening door leaks it is usually only at the bottom of the jambs where water is penetrating through the mortice and tenon joints.

It is usually only inward opening doors that have a flat top cill (its called a patio cill) with an inset water bar, and an external weather bar on the bottom rail of the door.

Steve.

Took me a little time - here are the pictures as you requested.

I have ordered up some flush bolts which should in theory be arriving shortly to install in the top and bottom of the doors.

However the problem is still how to prevent the water ingress from the bottom.

Good photos. I would fit a timber upstand onto the cill bedded on mastic to form a rebate for the doors to close onto. This wont stop water coming under the doors but will stop it progressing to inside.
I am concerned how and when you intend to finish the doors as I see you have stripped all the paint off and the wood is exposed. Traditionally these doors would be glued together with animal glue which is not waterproof. Water getting in behind the recessed panels and the joints of bottom/middle rails and styles will soon degrade the glue. The wood will swell, joints open and will end up being difficult if not impossible to open. Not to mention wood rot.
You really must get them painted up ASAP as they are now exposed to the weather.
Steve.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I am not quite sure what a timber up stand is, the only up stand I am aware of is a kitchen one. I have googled it but don't seem to find any pictures to demonstrate what you mean precisely.

Do you have a picture?

Also aware of your comments regarding painting - just one question I have an oil based primer, how much drying time from a days rain do I have to give before painting them, don't want to lock moisture in.

The upstand would basically be a length of 2x1 screwed down flat onto the existing cill so the doors shut against it thus creating a rebate and an 'upstand'.

Thanks, was thinking about that too but you just confirmed my theory. The only thing is that the water seems to run up to the bottom of the door and then seep into the bottom area.

So I can understand what you are suggesting to do, but how would this prevent the water seeping through.

You probably have, or should I say well have, water running down the door face and travelling under the bottom edge of the door. Its called surface tension. You need a weather bar fitted to the doors bottom rail which throws the water away from the front edge and causes it to drip off. Alternatively a drip groove machined in the enderside of the doors bottom rails will break the surface tension so the water drips of the wood, thus stopping it travel all the way to the inside edge of door.
Will try post scketches if I get time later.
Steve.

I would definitely fix an upstand on the inside of the door. Then ideally add a weather bar to the outside but if you do not want the weather bar put a drip groove under the bottom edge of the door.
Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back