order of reno's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bought a house - knew it needed work - but 'simply' knocking the wall down to make kitchen diner has snowballed...

had some damp proofing done and the *big* chap found out we had woodworm.

Turns out quite a few boards are riddled.

what with new kitchen we looking at doing all the floor now..

at least it will make redoing the elctrics and radiator lagging easier? :D

do we plaster with the old floorboards still on? less cleaning up..

also how paranoid should we be with the new floorboards?

pricing it up about 900 quid for green chipboard - with felt underlay and a laminate

with reclaimed pine boards only 1300 quid?

wwyd?

Sponsored Links
some had dust sprinkling out. so I think its active :(
If your not sure if its active wait till spring and check for new flight holes, dust on its own is not indicative of activity.
Also are boards structurally unsound, ie collapsing, if not treating with insecticide is sufficient

Sponsored Links
most boards seem solid - few joists on verge of crumbling here and there

is spray ok?

I should be able to plaster my walls first?

most boards seem solid - few joists on verge of crumbling here and there

is spray ok?

I should be able to plaster my walls first?
Difficult to say without seeing them, any chance of photos of boards and joists?

doesnt seem to be meany holes but the bottom of this joist just crumbled!

found the odd floorboard that was not structurally sound

is spraying an option? or u think rip all floorvboards out and paint joists.. take opportunity to add underfloor insulation / new feature floorboards?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 58
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 65
odd the one next door has almost none!+

Attachments

• IMG_6765.jpg
    IMG_6765.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 52
doesnt seem to be meany holes but the bottom of this joist just crumbled!

found the odd floorboard that was not structurally sound

is spraying an option? or u think rip all floorvboards out and paint joists.. take opp.ortunity to add underfloor insulation / new feature floorboards?
They look pretty bad, how old is the property?, the joist in the pic seems to suggests that it is very old ie pre 1900. Could you include some more pics of the underside of the floor, the reason being older hardwood joists are usually only affected on the outer edges. Newer softwood joists contain more sapwood and can suffer structural breakdown

hi - its 1920..

and yes one of the joists snapped! actually in the out side only had 10 or 20 holes ☹

Attachments

• IMG_7085.jpg
    IMG_7085.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7086.jpg
    IMG_7086.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 33
No east midlands area,

Is it possible that is just rot? this area was in a cul de sac - perhaps not as well vented as could be?

this is the joist before it snapped - I was digging the rubble out from under it when I snapped it

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 46
this is the joist before it snapped - I was digging the rubble out from under it when I snapped it
Just to clear up location question, your description pointed to House longhorn beetle which is only found in Surrey, if u had that it is very serious. However I am still not 100% sure how bad your infestation is, if the rest of the joists are just as bad renewal is the only option, I repeat it is very unusual to have to renew entire floor due to woodworm. There does not appear to be any wood rot. I suggest that you get an on site inspection by local expert.

Woodworm isn't an issue -you've been watching too many Tom and Jerry cartoons with termites in. My money is on lack of ventilation which leads to rot, dry rot, and beetles.

Sponsored Links
Back