Order of work for fitting RSJ's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hopefully the below sketch will show up. I am essentially having a wall knocked through in the gable end of my house from the corner of the house between the points A and B in the diagram and am interested to know the order of works for this that people would advise.

We are having a single storey extension on the gable end and this will be where the current kitchen breaks into the new extension. We are going to continue the internal skin leaf by building a continuation of the internal leaf (top right in the sketch)

I am interested in what the pro's would recomend as to the order of installing the RSJ's. As I see it there may be several possibilities possibilities.

1) Support the internal and external skin all in one go with plenty of tall boy acrows, knock both skins down and jack both RSJ's into position and then build the new wall up to the underside of the RSJ's leave it all to go off for a week and then remove the acrows.

2) Support the corner where the new wall is to be built with a number of acrows - remove the minimum amount of wall needed to expose the internal skin at the corner and allow room for the new wall to be built with padstone. Let it all go off then remove the rest of the external wall and internal wall and put RSJ's in place after that.

3) Support external skin with tall boy acrows and then just knock down the external skin, jack RSJ into place with more acrows and build the continuation of the internl skin up to that. Let all go off and then do the internal skin wall

4) As for 2 but one skin at a time.

Any advice and reasoning would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
10 years ago but shame it never got answered. Were they stupid possibilities or maybe he didn't list the best way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back