Order of work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be starting a refurbishment of a property soon and am just trying to get my head around order of work. Bare in mind we can have the work done with the house being empty.

It needs new bathrooms, kitchen, New central heating, replacement double glazing, New door, ceilings and maybe walls need replastering, full decoration,etc.

So I'm thinking, start with striping the wallpaper, check which walls will need plastering. Get the double glazing replaced and new central heating, plaster where necessary, probably have new skirting boards / door frames / doors fitted. Fit bathrooms and kitchen. Redecorate.

Does that sound the right order?

There is tonnes of insulation in the loft, would it be necessary to move all this if I'm having ceilings replaced/down-lights fitted? Or can this be worked around?

Would it be best to get a local builder to do all the work or get individual tradesmen?

Cheer

Simon

Sponsored Links
To use a local builder you would have to present him with a Schedule of Works and a contract.

Using individuals requires you to act as the general contractor. Some contracts and schedules will still be needed.

What kind of person are you? What experience do you have? Is the finance in place?

First you make a list of everything you want done and a mortgage surveyor has called out - are there any retentions?

As soon as work commences further work will be revealed. Dont remove anything until you have to eg. ceilings. Starting now by stripping paper and kitchen units & bathroom units except the WC - is a good idea

All structural work is done first, then roofing, then remedial works such as damp & timber, & then first fixing to detailed layout plans.

Dont jump around, deal with items like insulation later.

Thanks Ree

This is the first renovation I have done, previously I have always bought off plan. Finances are in place. As a person I like to think I'm organised and also willing to undertake some work myself.

The must do work is:
Strip out bathrooms, kitchen and bedroom furniture
Remove wallpaper
Update archway/opening between lounge and dining room
Remove skirting boards/door frames
New window frames/external doors
Replace central heating
Update electrics (RCD)
Skim ceilings (over artex)
Skim walls
Replace skirting boards and door frames
Install fireplace and fire
Fit wooden flooring
Fit kitchen and bathroom suites
Decorate

Looks like a fair bit to do! Hoping to do it inside £50k.

Good luck.

Why not keep this site posted on all before, during and after work with pics? Show the elevations and interiors - viewers can often see more than yourself, they are stood back and neutral. It will be an historical record for you.

If you have a family, keep everyone up to date - discuss everything esp with the wife. Allow others to make decisions.

Using builders or tradespeople you must record everything in a daily job diary. Who, what, where, when, and all payments and receipts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back