Oscillating Multi-Tool recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I work as a laminate floor fitter and have always used a handsaw to undercut the door frames to slide the laminate flooring underneath. I am looking for a new oscillating multi-tool to get to hard to reach areas and was wondering for those that own and use one, what brand/model would you recommend? I was planning to spend no more than £60-£70.

Are the blades universally compatible or are they brand/model specific?

Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
at work we have a really awful cheapo 1 thats no good for nothing,not enough guts,
i recently picked up a 2nd hand fein multi master WOW like a knife through butter.i managed to get it for £50 so i class that as a right bargain.

I have the older fein but it doesn't have the locking teeth to hold the blade and so for that reason I'm out.

I got a Macalister on special at B&Q. Fantastic machine, great build quality and you get blades of Ebay for less than two quid a piece. Three year warranty too.

Sponsored Links
Recently had a 240v Ryobi bought for me, just a cheapy as it would only be an occasional tool but my god was it rubbish, all noise and nothing else, didn't want to cut whether you pressed on or let the tool do the work, for a tool that's sole purpose is to vibrate it was crap so I suspect it was the blades. Had the receipt so took it back and bought myself a dewalt, what a difference its night and day better.

Ryobi pro's

Very light
Price.....but theres a reason
Universal blades

Con's

Poor quality blades
Noise

Dewalt pro's

LED work light
Quick change blade system
Build quality
Variable speed rocker trigger
Speed of cut
Price not bad at £120

Con's

Considerably heavier (than the Ryobi)
Requires specific dewalt blades if you want to use the quick change system although does come with a universal adaptor for cheapy blades

All in all I'm much happier with the dewalt even if its an occasional tool, I know that when a job crops up to use it I know it'll work, I'm a firm believer of 'he who buys cheap buys twice' and it was certainly the case here

Can't beat the Bosch Blues. The GOP300 with quick change is fantastic but if you can't stretch that far the 200 and 250 can be picked up quite cheap at a few places.

i have a bosch blue 10.8v and a ryobi 18v they are very similar in performance

if its the odd job here or there then battery is fine but far far slower than mains power
with battery you need to cut at a say 7 degree angle and move sideways to and fro swapping angles at each end
if you only have a small slot with little or no gap each side off the blade then rock back and forth on an imaginary pivot a few mm back from the front off the teeth
always aim for at least a 30% smaller than gap blade to allow you to work side to side a bit to avoid it grounding on the sides and causing the body vibrating

I have the older fein but it doesn't have the locking teeth to hold the blade and so for that reason I'm out.
The new ones are much, much better.... especially the "Q" models with the quick release tool holder

Thank you all for your comments and recommendations. I will do a bit more research and look into the models you have suggested. The majority of the door frame cutting will still be done by hand, so I will only be using the multi-tool for the hard to reach areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back