Our First House...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Just signed up here and could really use a hand. Me and my mate just started renting a new place out and it's great! Thing is though, it needs quite a bit of work done as you can see.
We've got a friend that knows a decent amount of DIY but some more help would be good.

We've fixed a few things and we're working on what we can. We just need this place to be more livable each day as we have to stay here.

Any hints and tips would be much appreciated!

More pictures to follow, this isn't even half of them

Thanks for reading

WP_20160905_13_42_38_Pro.jpg
WP_20160905_13_42_22_Pro.jpg
WP_20160905_13_42_17_Pro.jpg
WP_20160905_13_41_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20160905_13_41_10_Pro.jpg
WP_20160905_13_39_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20160905_13_39_44_Pro.jpg
WP_20160905_13_39_35_Pro.jpg
WP_20160905_13_39_29_Pro.jpg
WP_20160905_13_38_26_Pro.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you are the tenants, you will need the landlords permission to undertake any DIY. Also if there are any dangerous situations regarding electrics, gas etc.. The landlord has a responsibility/duty of care to improve these and make safe. Also leaking pipework would also be the landlords responsibility!

As above, get agreement from the landlord.

A colleague of mine was living in rented accommodation & struck a deal with the landlord whereby the landlord paid for all of the raw materials & the he (the tenant) did a DIY refurb of the place without any labour costs. Win Win

If your landlord is prepared to let the place out in that state, then I'd move. And if he hasn't come to a deal with you to let you sort out the problems, then that confirms my suggestion.

A landlord should only rent out a property that is in a habitable condition, and you're pictures suggest that unless the rent is way below local market conditions, then you should ask the environmental health office to look over the place.

The mould suggest there's been a lack of ventilation in the place (or the heating insufficient) and need cleaning off with a mild bleach solution.

You need to be careful on the ceiling with the wooden door, as this might be chipwood wallpaper on the ceiling, or it might be artex, and if old, might have asbestos particles in it. You'd need to use a wallpaper steamer on this to get it off safely, and then repaint.

You shouldn't do anything with the cooker point, as this being electrical, is way outside your safety remit.

Some bits just require general painting after a stain block has been applied.

The leaking sink is the landlords responsibility, as it need an experienced plumber.

Have a look in B&Q for a plaster coving (or equivalent) to cover the mess on the ceiling, and screw the ceiling rose cover back on.

I can't really see what the problem on the floor is, but it may just be a case of rubbing down the mark, and then repainting the floor.

Best of luck.

Sponsored Links
presumably the rent has been reduced to compensate for the horrible state of your home?

presumably the rent has been reduced to compensate for the horrible state of your home?

could not agree more, if i let my houses out in this state i would have some very unhappy tenants whom i am sure would object to paying full "going" rent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back