Outbuilding - 50% of surrounding land - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My wife and I have just had an offer accepted on a house. It is an end of terrace with side access to the garden. One of the main reasons we chose it is because we want to build a small outhouse for my wife's work and this seemed like the ideal house for it.

However, after reading about the planning permission clauses, it says:

No more than half the area of land around the “original house” would be covered by additions or other buildings.

If this includes the extension (I don't know when this was built), then we couldn't even put a small shed in the back. The extension takes up quite a bit of the backyard. However, there is more than enough space for what we want to do AND the tall wall running along the side of the house would completely prevent onlookers from seeing it.

I have uploaded a side shot of house and a a view from google maps (yellow is where we want the outhouse).

Any chance we are going to be able to do this?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Are you permitted development rules? You can apply for whatever you like

Thanks Woody. If at all possible, I'd like to avoid going down that route; the reason being that we might complete the purchase of the house, only to have planning rejected or delays (which would lead to a loss of income) - and then we are stuck with a house which doesn't suit half its purpose.

I'd sooner cut my losses and walk away which would be hugely disappointing.

Well, if it exceeds the PD limit, then it will have to be a formal planning app.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I just don't see why they should care when it doesn't affect anyone but us.

i am assuming thats a modern extension so in this situation it wont apply
note the clause about extensions pre 1948 as being classified as part off the original building

You can include the area of the small front garden (and the thickness of the front boundary wall) if that helps.

Thanks Tony, might just help a little. Big All - sorry, what do you mean 'it won't apply'?

I used that argument a few times prior to 2008, though then the pd limits of extensions were based on volume. Our LPA accepted the argument, though whether or not that was strictly correct I wouldn't know.

(Perhaps others will chip in?)

Thanks Tony, might just help a little. Big All - sorry, what do you mean 'it won't apply'?

if the extensions are pre 1948 they are classified as part off the original house so don't come off you 50% allowance

@big all - but that extension deffo seems to be post '48 right? The gable wall has recently been rebuilt but it still seems newish. Waiting to confirm deed details with vendor.

@tony - I have until I exchange contracts so 4-6 weeks :) GO

if you can prove its pre 1948[the actual date is mid 1947] then its part off the origional house

looking at others in the row they donot have the same layout at the back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back