Outdoor metalwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my work place is wanting me to 'make good' and paint their outside stair case. It's metal (not sure on what kind) but I'd also very rusty.

I was thinking I would pressure wash the whole thing first, but then I would need to do something with the tidy? Presumably write brush? (This would take for ever). There are 3 flights of stairs.

Then I'm not too sure on which paint to use :(

Here are a few pictures, can anyone help give me some tips, tricks, or additional advice please?

Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
Thought as much :(

Do you think I could use my air compressor to help with the spreading? I haven't used the paint sprayer with it yet.. I wasn't sure if I had to use a specific type if paint!

Sponsored Links
I would just sand it with coarse grit to remove any loose flakes of rust, then brush paint with Hammerite direct-to rust gloss/satin. Spraying spindles is very wasteful (and can be messy).

Thanks for all the advise guys. I think I know what I have to do.. Just a lot of hard grafting for the weekend lol.

Maybe I'll try and get some hands to help!

Thanks a lot
Matt

Actually... I was wondering what it would be like to use a sand blaster to help take it back to "good"?

I can see that you can hire them from Brandon hire for pretty cheap (about £100 a day).

Are they super messy? (I'm assuming so) - Has anyone every used one before and can they make any recommendations about it?

Thanks
Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back