Outdoor recessed lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking at getting some outdoor recessed (soffit) lighting installed. To save a bit of cash, am I allowed to do the cabling with an electrician making the connections etc?

I'd be looking to run the cable through the outside wall and then (in conduit) up a bit and along to the roof space - the total length is about 15m from CU to the final light.

Once in the roof space, what type of circuit should these lights be on? Would it be a radial or ring?

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
To save a bit of cash, am I allowed to do the cabling with an electrician making the connections etc?
Which country do you live in?

Will this be a new circuit?

From your POV what will you be wanting the electrician to do for you?

I'd be looking to run the cable through the outside wall and then (in conduit) up a bit and along to the roof space
Why conduit?

Once in the roof space, what type of circuit should these lights be on? Would it be a radial or ring?
Why "Once in the roof space"? How could the circuit change there from what it was before?

I'm in the UK.

Will this be a new circuit?

Yes, it's a new lighting circuit.

From your POV what will you be wanting the electrician to do for you?

Connect the circuit to the CU, connect the lights and carry out any necessary tests.

Why conduit?

Because the T&E will be going along an outside wall.
Why "Once in the roof space"? How could the circuit change there from what it was before?

So if I run a single length of T&E from the CU to the roof space, would there then be a junction box to put the lights on a ring? Or would the single length of cable continue through the roof space with the lights at set intervals? I ask this because the roof space contains many obstructions, so if the electrician has to pull any further cable when he's on site, it could take a while.

I'm in the UK.
We knew that much (from the flag). However, I presume that BAS wanted to know whether you are in England, Wales or Scotland, since the regulations differ.
Yes, it's a new lighting circuit.
In that case, in England or Wales (I don't know about Scotland) it would be 'notifiable' work - so you would need to get a self-certifying electrician engaged, or at least involved, before any work commenced, or else pay £££ to 'notify' the work to your Local Authority Building Control yourself. Since this person would have to sign a declaration that they had undertaken the design construction and testing of the new circuit, all your other questions would need to be directed to them, and you would also have to ascertain to what extent (if any) they were prepared for you to do some of the work that they were going to certify as their own.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As far as BS7671 goes the wiring is inside even though the light is outside as to ring or radial normally would be a radial as lighting is limited to 16A and often 6 amp junction boxes are used so in the main a 6 amp auto disconnecting unit is used.

As to Part P read it yourself as you need to decide if your using a new circuit and if in Wales if this is work outside or not. As to Scotland not a clue how worded.

As with all electrical work inspection and testing is required. Personally I consider if you have not got the skill to inspect and test you should not be installing it. However as long as the person doing testing and inspecting is engaged before any work starts so they are the person responsible for design and they have over seen the installation then it is permitted to have apprentice or electricians mate to do some of the work and you are in essence the same as the apprentice or electricians mate.

However again it depends on where you live as to what you are allowed to do. Third party inspection and testing was not activated in Wales so since you decline to say where you live it's up to you to read and see what you can do without being a scheme member.

Where I live in Wales to keep legal even for time served electricians it is often cheaper to use a scheme member electrician than DIY.

I'm in the UK.
As per JohnW2 above - E/W/S is significant.

Yes, it's a new lighting circuit ... Connect the circuit to the CU, connect the lights and carry out any necessary tests.
As per JohnW2 above - Building Regulations approval is required, so the electrician will have a greater involvement - you need to get one engaged now.

Because the T&E will be going along an outside wall.
It won't necessarily be T&E in conduit. Depends on the view of the electrician.

You would be ill advised to install T&E in conduit yourself and then present it as a fait accompli for him to take responsibility for.

So if I run a single length of T&E from the CU to the roof space, would there then be a junction box to put the lights on a ring? Or would the single length of cable continue through the roof space with the lights at set intervals? I ask this because the roof space contains many obstructions, so if the electrician has to pull any further cable when he's on site, it could take a while.
  1. Lights are rarely on a ring circuit.
  2. What you describe is not a ring anyway.
  3. Your electrician will look at the location and decide on the most appropriate cable route(s).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back