Outlook Express frequent failure to receive

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I get this message very often. Sometimes, clicking on "send and receive all" will work. "receive all" works more often. "receive" for a single account often works.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: nnnnnn(N)', Server: 'pop3.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I have Norton Internet Security.

I have quite a lot of mail logs with old mails in them. The inboxes have hundred of mails in them.

It doesn't happen every time. Sometimes it will happen with just one account (not always the same one), sometimes on several or all accounts.

1) yes, i am connected to the internet

2) yes, my account settings are correct, and often they all work.

Sponsored Links
I'm running Linux and using Thunderbird and I still get errors like that.

BT is my ISP.

My trick ?

Leave it alone and they'll come home. It sux though and if there's something I'm particularly waiting for I have to use webmail to get it (BTYahoo mail)

It should be noted though that BT are separating from Yahoo so expect some shenanigans for a while

well that's very curious

I set up the mail accounts a long time ago, with great care, using the instructions from my ISP. They specified the ports that I had to use for incoming and outgoing mail,. and that I had to tick the "this server requires secure connection" boxes. I would never have made up the port numbers myself.

One of the help sites I cruised recommended unticking the "server requires secure connection" boxes, in "tools" "accounts" "properties" "advanced," so I've given that a try on some of the accounts, as and when they get the error message, and it does seem to have helped.

Or maybe it is just a coincidence.

I wonder why the ISP told me to tick them, and why it isn't now needed?

EDIT
No,it was coincidence, because I've just had another batch of those errors, so I'm still looking for a solution :mad:

I've had a similar problem too, whereby Thunderbird, throws up the error message , that it couldn't connect to such and such. Re-trying,after a few minutes seems to work though, so don't know whether it's my internet connection or the bloody computer playing up. ;)

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure its the PC. If I collect mail on my smartphone, using wifi from the same router that feeds the PC, it works OK.

Back