Outrageous roof cleaning and sealing prices?

CGG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My VERY old father stupidly signed up with a door-to-door salesman to have his roof cleaned of moss with a pressure hose, de-mossed, and the sealed. Worse still he then waivred his right for a 7 day cooling off period in return for a minor discount. Staggeringly to me, the quote for his 4 bedroom 1970s house - which the company claims has a 250 sq m roof - was over £6000 and the work was done in 6 man days before I knew anything about it or could stop him. From everything I've read the price should be significantly less. Can anyone tell me ASAP what they think a realistic price woudol be for such a job? Thanks in advance for any advice or help anyone can give

Sponsored Links
noone can legally sign off from a cold sell cooling off period its in place to prevent people taking advantage i cant give you a price for a "roof clean" but i could probably replace the full roof for that with new as for a 250m2 roof he must have a big house i have a 4 bed terrace and mine is 87m2

• Thanks
Reactions: CGG
So It`s all done and dusted :idea: Sadly that £6k is what they come in @ for starters AFAIK. Same happened to a M8`s dozy sister - Walls coated in a small terrace - £6k. That`s so they can get beaten down to about £3k after 3 hours :rolleyes: They wouldn`t set foot in my front yard , let alone my house :evil: In fact I had some clowns with flourescent jackets arrive just after I bought this place . I actually said " go away" my M8 cracked up - he said it was the look on my face with the Lack of swearing :LOL:

If the cash has gone, phone trading standards and watchdog, and the local paper, scum shouldnt be able to get away with that.

Perhaps try a little sting operation. Find a mate with a big house with a big drive, ask them to come round and insepct the roof front and back. When there round the back get a clamps out, and clamp their van up. £6k release fee.

Then get your mate in to tell you, and the roof cleaning scum to get off his land, as he impounds his motor.

Bar Stewards.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Thanks. The money's not gone yet and, if they won't compromise, I fully intend to name and shame them and get them as much adverse publicity as I can (local TV, radio, newspapers) and also get Trading Standards after them both where they are based and where they did the work. They chose the wrong OAP to con!

If the money isnt gone yet, tell them you are using your cooling off period, which you can't sign away, (Think its known as a sham contract, as you cant write a contract outside the law).

I would also call citzens advice bureau.

Make the twots an offer in writing for the work they have done, i assume it cant take more than 2 days to clean a roof?

Tell them they were taking advantage of an old man, they can either except it, or they can take you to a small claims court.

Judges are no fools, they will see your old dad, rip off cowboy, and see you made a reasonable offer for the length of time the work took to be done, and materials, and find in your favour.

Do everything in writing so you have a record, hand deliver it to there offices, even take a photo of it as you push it through the door. At least when it goes to court you will have a record of whats gone on.

Let the Fackers take you to court on this one. See You next tuesdays.

I hate the whole sueing culture, but these Fackwits deserve it.

Bas turds.

• Thanks
Blag it and bluff 'em!

Tell them you no longer want the roof cleaned and that if they want the dough then sue.

Best price from a reputable roof coaters company for a clean, repair, treat color coat is about £2500-£2700.

STOP them from getting access, turn off the outside tap, and if they arrive call the police. They can NOT legally sigh off any cooling off period as they A) Cold called B) Came to your home to sell C) Have no legal right to sign off this part of any contrat as it is outside their control.
Not Aquashield by any chance?????

If this is not suitable, send me your address and I will be there when they arrive. Little *hits. I hate these cowbay companies. Grrrrrr :evil:

You should go and see a solicitor. Trust me even if their fees are £500 they will still be able to save you a lot of money. :)

Perhaps you should consider obtaining a power of attourney in accordance to your father. Once you have this in place, no contract he signs would be legally valid.

Careful.
Legal advice should come from legal sources.
Your understanding of Power of Attorney is incorrect.
Father would still retain right to enter into contract; the person granted POA would also have the right to do so on behalf of the father.

Don't pay them a penny, if they threaten to take you to court let them go ahead, i can't see any court finding in their favour mean while contact trading standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back