Outside Light Without Earth Terminal - How to wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a new outside light that is plastic and has no earth terminal. It says it's double insulated.

This new light is replacing a metal one that is earthed. It connects back to a junction box. This junction box also feeds another outside light, which is metal and earthed. Both switch on and off from the same switch.

Question is, how do I wire the new light to the junction box without compromising the earth to the other existing light? Is it OK to just leave the earth loose in the new light? Should it also be disconnected at the junction box end or is it OK to leave it connected there? I want to make sure the other light stays earthed.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If there's just one earth in your new light, put that in a connector block, if there's two, connect them together in your new light.

In both scenarios, don't connect them to the light (obviously) but you need to leave the earth there to a) protect the cable in the event of a fault and b)you/someone else might change it for a non DI fitting at a later date not realising the earth is disconnected at the other end

There is one earth cable that will go into the new light, so I should buy a connector block to put the earth into and leave that loose in the fitting?

What about the other end of the same earth cable at the junction box? Does that stay connected? Or should I remove it from the circuit so it doesn't affect the other light that will remain earthed? Don't want to affect earth continuity but I'm not an electrician so could be talking rubbish. DIY like for like jobs always seem to have some complication!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back