Outside stable doors

drgaz

make sure you apply knotting to the knots or you will get brown stains coming through the finish due to the seepage of the resin thus ruining the hard work.

Sponsored Links
You would have no need whatsoever to apply a knotting agent if you were to use the aluminium primer, one thing regarding the application of any primer that is paramount is to make sure that you paint the edges of the workpiece, you should allow the primer to flood into the end grains prior to applying your finish coats. This will then offer the utmost protection and failiure to do so is often the cause of a premature breakdown of the paint system.

Dec

the paint to me looks so thin i would assume it has been stripped
it looks like a maximum 3 layers to me so no more than 5 to 10 years old
but i could be wrong

Yes correct, and thanks for the following remarks 10/4 thank you.

the stiles on the bottom stable door seem to have been spliced together due to previous rot. have you made sure the wood above these old repairs has not also started to rot?

Sponsored Links
The op will have a better idea with regard to any decaying within the timber after the removal of the paint.

Dec

Your welcome but just a little word of advice. Don't test people that know what they're talking about it gets backs up, suggest alternatives, debate the pro's and con's and agree to disagree.

Tried that with him dcdec he isnt open to advice he takes it as criticism.Its like talking to a brick wall!!

Burning and sanding the paint from these doors will take some time the first door apart from a little bit of filling looks to be in good nick for its age.
Would you strip all the doors first or do each one at a time prep and undercoat before moving on to the next.Thank you G

how many doors are you doing? if its not many i would personally strip, knot, prime, undercoat and gloss the doors in unison.

And if it was me I would strip, prep, and apply an aluminum primer.

Dec

thedec

look no need to stalk me. maybe we got off on the wrong foot due to the fact that starspark seemed to have jumped on me on a personal not professional level and i carried it on a bit. i have done a decorating apprenticeship and have been a decorator for over 15 years.

i think this would be a good place to bounce ideas off each other to benefit other people. i won't be rising to starspark any more and will give people the benefit of my years in this trade.

thedec

no need to explain. lets just put this bad feeling behind us and move forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back