outside stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my previous post I forgot to ask about my outside stopcock in the pavement,.....its about 2ft below the surface, I tried to turn it off, but the little handle just broke, leaving just the square end on the spindle.
I,m sure if I get the right size socket adaptor onto it, I will be able to close the tap, and then do the job as previously described in the house.
Any help or advice welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a good way forward. The square socket in an extension bar may be a better fit on the valve spindle than a socket itself.

I have a selection of various sized bits of square steel tube, salvaged from old TV stands and the like over the years that occasionally come in handy.

Thanks Keego,
In your experience, does the spindle usually turn easily once u have a good grip, or should I pour some oil or wd on it for 24 hours?

Sponsored Links
It usually turns easy enough but like everything else in life you will get the odd one that's a pig. Remember when you turn any stop tap back on to open it fully & then close it down by half a turn, do that & you will always be able to operate it easy no matter how long it's left.

just get in touch with the water supplier (STW)
they will replace the stop stap but in this weather who knows when as the ground is rock hard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back