Outside tap help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to fit an outside tap and have purchased a kit from Amazon.

Being a complete amateur, I failed to measure up correctly! The thru wall flange is slightly (1cm) too short, so I guess I would need to purchase a longer one. Also, my water pipe (under the sink) is approximately 1.5 metres from where the thru wall flange enters. The kit I have uses 300mm 1/2BSP to 15mm Push Fit flexi connector. Is there any way I can easily extend this connector? I can't seem to find anything that is long enough to do the job. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Without being rude - you have purchased a heap of cr*p of the internet!

How long is the existing through-wall flange?

Do not attempt to extend the flexible hose - it will almost certainly end in tears. Remember that you're dealing with mains pressure water and any burst will be dramatic!

To comply with current water regs. you need a double check valve, drain-cock and isolator inside the house.

Without being rude - you have purchased a heap of cr*p of the internet!

How long is the existing through-wall flange?

Do not attempt to extend the flexible hose - it will almost certainly end in tears. Remember that you're dealing with mains pressure water and any burst will be dramatic!

To comply with current water regs. you need a double check valve, drain-cock and isolator inside the house.

The existing through-wall flange is 350 mm.

Newboy is right. As a matter of interest, how much did you pay for the kit. The cost of someone to do it isn;t normally huge, depending on yur location. The gear used will (should) be better than te DIY stuff. Especially as you now need to extend the copper pipe to the correct location. Anyway, good luck.

Sponsored Links
I paid £16.99. How best to extend the pipe? Can I simply attach approx 1 m length of copper piping using compression fittings?

Is the advice for this kind of thing simply not DIY and I should get a qualified plumber? How much would I be looking at?

It isn't so much that it is not a DIY job, but that, typically, the kit supplied is cheap carp. Your kit is cheaper than a plumber, but tube and a compression tee will knock another £5 or so.
I normally moan about certain folk here making up "average" prices,but I do them on a fixed price of £79, assuming the tap is going on a wall outside the sink, which many are. And that I can park outside, and is local Some charge more, others less. But I am not in a city, or have to worry about congestion charges.

It isn't so much that it is not a DIY job, but that, typically, the kit supplied is cheap carp. Your kit is cheaper than a plumber, but tube and a compression tee will knock another £5 or so.
I normally moan about certain folk here making up "average" prices,but I do them on a fixed price of £79, assuming the tap is going on a wall outside the sink, which many are. And that I can park outside, and is local Some charge more, others less. But I am not in a city, or have to worry about congestion charges.

The kit I've bought was purchased from a company called fixthebog! They do have cheaper kits, but I purchased one which they refer to as "professional". The reviews I have found in various places are very good. How much would the various parts cost from a professional supply/shop?

Just an aside - the company you purchased the kit from need to be told that

a) They can't spell plumber!
b) None of their kits are compliant with current water regs. for a new installation.

The difficulty you will have is that your wall must be slightly thicker than standard - most through-wall flanges are around 350 mm long which is enough to get through a standard cavity wall and connect too. I suspect that you will need to do it the old fashioned way - copper tube (sleeved) to wall-plate elbow for the bib-tap and a suitable fitting on the inside.

Just an aside - the company you purchased the kit from need to be told that

a) They can't spell plumber!
b) None of their kits are compliant with current water regs. for a new installation.

The difficulty you will have is that your wall must be slightly thicker than standard - most through-wall flanges are around 350 mm long which is enough to get through a standard cavity wall and connect too. I suspect that you will need to do it the old fashioned way - copper tube (sleeved) to wall-plate elbow for the bib-tap and a suitable fitting on the inside.

Cheers. Alternatively, I could replace with a 450 mm long through wall flange. Would it be feasible to use this and purchase additional (1 metre) of copper pipe and compression coupler in order to extend it to the place I want it? Anything wrong with this?

No problem - don't forget that you need an internal isolator & drain-cock (you need to turn off and drain down in winter) & double-check valve to prevent potential backflow.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-hu-bib-tap-with-check-valve/11558?_requestid=198525

http://www.screwfix.com/p/15mm-double-check-valve/96336

http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/isolating-valves/cat3830002

I would use a stop cock rather than a carp isolation valve. The screwfix flange is 360mm.

To be fair, your kit is better than most I've seen, assuming it is this :
http://www.fixthebog.uk/professiona...kit-meets-water-regulations-gt1-350mm-flange/
but the integrated double check valve is not compliant for a new installation. They last a season, as it will freeze. The DCV should be inside the house.

I've decided to send back the kit and build the tap from various parts including those recommended. I have a couple of questions regarding fittings. I already have an isolation valve the other side of an 1/2 inch male thread which then leads to the mains copper pipe. I plan attach my outside tap piping to this 1/2 inch male thread. First of all I'll need to change the direction of the pipes by 90 degrees. Do I need a 1/2 inch male to 1/2 inch female elbow for this? I can't seem to find one in screwfix. Also, can I buy a drain cock which will thread onto (or just before) the elbow? Or alternatively could I use a 3 way female tee and thread the drain cock onto this? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Don't fit a tap with an anti return valve built in, they are less than useless.

I used to fit taps behind sinks for just £48 during the summer, usually as an add on for boiler service or something else.

But found that the unemployed and odd job men were doing it for £30 !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back