Outside wall, Paint / water issue - Your thought please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wall has been looking like on the picture since this summer.
Not better, not worse.
No Damp inside the flat.

What should be my point of action? or who should I call for as a trade man to get that wall check out?

Thanks
20170107_141754_1484572637031.jpg
20170107_141802_1484572637272.jpg

Sponsored Links
With any defective render or paint, water gets behind it, and then soaks into the wall and has difficulty getting back out. It will only get worse, so sooner is better than later. Water can take in salts or cause salts to form in the wall which then cause problems with render/paint in the future.

It looks like the cause of this is that window cill above. Its not projecting far enough out to cast rain off the wall. Rather the water is just running down the wall constantly.

You need that cill sorting out before any repair to the render or paint

Sponsored Links
There's obvious minor damage to the render above your flat and to the left parallel with the soil stack.
Whose responsible for community repairs in this block of flats?

As advised above ref the cill. If you look to the window cill above your flat you will see that they have installed a projecting concrete cill.
Your window would also benefit from a "drip hood" above it.

Jeremy2014, good evening.

As "Woody" the sill could be a factor, if you look at the damage it appears that the disturbance of the paint is occurring from the left hand side of the sill??

Suggest you consider looking at the Sill and is it level, or? is is sloping to the left??

One other long shot is that there is a leak on the pipework that is in the middle of the damage area?? the leak could be within the wall and the leaking water could be damaging the external wall paint by saturating the wall??

Ken.

Whose responsible for community repairs in this block of flats?
it is share of the freehold. Currently the main owner occupier so responsible in a way to raise anything - but pretty clueless hence asking you guys for advice.

May I check that if I wanted to get trademan in, which trade should I consider to get their though in please and discuss the points you raised above.

Many thanks

Jeremy2014, good evening.

Sorry but I have completely no input to the question you pose, such legal niceties simply do not exist up here in the far frozen wastes of Scotland??

Up here there are no such things as freehold? we got rid of a broadly similar but "Feudal" system about 30 years ago?

Ken.

Let's forget about responsibilities and freehold as this is not where the issue is.

Trade man wise and who can fix it, Could that be a job a general contractor type of builder? or should I reach to someone else?

Thanks

1. Window Fitter - take out window and re-fit with a deeper sill profile. (you might be able to fit a simple aluminium drip/flashing with the window insitu but will look naff)
2. Painter and Decorator - prepare and paint the wall.

Also worth checking that waste pipe isn't leaking.

I used my all encompassing phrase "prepare" which covers everything from going over it with a stiff brush to knock down the entire building and rebuilding it from the footings.

Thanks all for the information provided. Greatly appreciated. Will keep all of that in mind when getting trade man in.
Thanks
Jeremy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back